Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Keg vs bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I almost exclusively bottle (I have a party pig I use from time to time) but I eventually want to get a keg system with a tap or two when I can afford the set up and have the space for it. Right now I am not brewing so much that it is inconvenient to bottle and since my wife actually likes the bottling process (particularly capping) it takes me half the time to bottle with her help. I could see how it would be too laborious to bottle 5-6 gallons every few weeks if I routinely brewed that much but it's manageable where I am right now.

For me the biggest drawback of not having a keg system, and somebody mentioned this, is not being able to have a small quantity without opening an entire bottle. I try to limit my drinking to the weekend evenings but there are some nights where I'd like just an ounce or two for flavor. If I open a 12oz bottle I am going to drink the whole thing. It's not such an urgent issue that I need to run out and buy a keg set up. But one day...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

"It really comes down to choice and what works best for you."

Exactly! I package in 5 gallon cornies, and 3 gallon cornies, and 12oz bottles, and 22oz bottles, and 750ml bottles, and TAD, and 1.5L mini-keg, etc, etc. Do whatever works for you.

nurture my pig

Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
seanybubbles
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a three tap keggerator. I could never go back to bottling as I like to have multiple beers on hand. For me it was about not having so many bottles around. I got rid of almost all my bottles except for enough to bottle a batch. So far I haven't bottled one batch. Depending on location a real pain in the ass can be finding Co2. For me it's a 45min drive.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #24
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have a 3 tap set up too but I currently have 10 different beers on hand because I DO still bottle. 3 taps limit you to three types of beer so how does a decision to not bottle any more allow you to have "multiple beers on hand"? Perhaps I misunderstood your post?

nurture my pig

Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I like kegging because it takes less time and effort to keg than it does to fill 54 bottles. I do long primaries, so I don't have to worry much about bottle conditioning, but I set my pressure low for serving so I have to wait about 2 weeks for carbonation anyway.

I also like having homebrew on tap because it's less work for me when I have friends over. Most of my friends are not familiar with homebrew, so I found myself pouring their beers a lot so they wouldn't get the sediment. But anyone can pull a tap handle.

But I also bottle occasionally, too: 1-gallon batches mostly, but also meads, etc.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
J8D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I only bottled my first two batches then went straight to kegging. To share or transport I will bottle up a couple 22s or fill a growler or two. I also have a couple three gallon cornies so I can just drop one into a backpack with a CO2 cartridge hookup/picnic tap and go walk about.
Bottling is a giant paint for me. Kegging is easy. Like others, I will do some bulk cleaning. I do take apart and check my rings but I don’t replace on a regular basis unless they are worn. I clean my lines far less than I should. However, they don’t sit empty (don’t you judge me).
If I had only one faucet, I would likely bottle. However, I have three regular faucets and a stout faucet. I have two more waiting to be installed in my next kegerator. I usually don’t have much time between fermentation complete and being tapped. Multiple taps allow me to have a variety (not as much as bottles though) and let beers condition until they start tasting good. I also like to be able to walk by anytime and grab one of my taster glasses and take a sample to see how the various beers are doing. The down side is that I can walk by anytime and take a pint sample to see how the various beers are doing.

J8D

---------------------------------------------
Stout Faucet: Guinness Clone
Faucet 1: Tongue Twister IIPA
Faucet 2: American White
Faucet 3: Wheat #2
Satellite Faucet: Walking Dead Guy Ale
Primary 1/2: Simcoe Pale Ale
Secondary 1/2: What You Do IPA

Upcoming Brews: Belgian Pale Ale

Total gallons brewed: 470 gallons

Old 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
DRonco
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I bottle merely because the start up cost for kegging is a little steep right now. On bottling day I run the bottles through my dish washer on the hottest setting. The steam from the drying cycle seems to be enough to sanitize them. When it comes time to bottle, I set my bottling bucket on the counter right above the dishwasher with the bottling wand hanging over. I then bottle with dishwasher door open to catch any mess.

Not a perfect setup, but just my $.02.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
chalmer9
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

I quit bottling this summer because I was tired of having 372 bottles lying around. It's also nice when I drink beer from a bottle, I can throw it in the garbage.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #29
Fantastical
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I went from bottling to kegging. I likely will never go back. Not that bottling was not enjoyable. To be honest I didn't find it to be that big of a pain. I just really enjoy getting to tinker with my kegs, lines, keezer, co2, etc.

Both bottling and kegging take a bit of work to do. Kegging a little more initial setup while bottling is a little more laborious per batch.

I have a few swing tops so anytime I need to take one I just fill it right from the keg tap and I'm good to go!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #30
PacificNWBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

beer in a keg tastes better to me than bottled. Could my imagination... Or...

1. I get a better, more consistent carbonation in kegs than in bottles (flat beer sucks)
2. Takes WAY less time to keg (more time for drinking)
3. It's just cooler to have a keg of beer to drink (wow factor)
4. I like that I can adjust pull a tap and cold beer flows vs remembering to stock the fridge

I like to bottle a 12 pack of a batch to take to a friends house but honestly, I'll probably get a few growlers to fill from my keg before heading out.
I've bottled before and had to scrap the batch because it had very little carbonation. Sad to throw out flat beer because I couldn't get the ration of priming sugar right.

Really, it's up to you. Do you have the space to store a keg? It not, go bottles.

PNWB

Quick Reply