Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Keg vs bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Keg vs bottles

I've only done bottles but keep reading post after post about kegs...what is good about kegging and why use them? Just want your thoughts on this matter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Cold71
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think the biggest plus is simply being able to drink your beer sooner. No bottle conditioning. On top of that its much more easy to do. You don't have to clean, fill, and cap 50+ bottles.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold71 View Post
I think the biggest plus is simply being able to drink your beer sooner. No bottle conditioning. On top of that its much more easy to do. You don't have to clean, fill, and cap 50+ bottles.
but unless you are only drinking at home the kegging isn't convenient.. I mean I can take my bottles anywhere in a cooler or not and share easly... Why would someone want to spend on kegs, pressurizing, tap, adjusting pressure (huge head if you dont adjust well) , etc etc etc

Im not bad mouthing it, just want to understand it

Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
but unless you are only drinking at home the kegging isn't convenient.. I mean I can take my bottles anywhere in a cooler or not and share easly... Why would someone want to spend on kegs, pressurizing, tap, adjusting pressure (huge head if you dont adjust well) , etc etc etc

Old 10-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
crispy44
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

So. You don't need to condition the beer before kegging? I mean, yes it gets carbed faster... but does the beer need to sit for an extra couple weeks as it would from bottling to meld the flavors?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post

You can bottle from a keg with picnic tap and bottling wand to take beer with you. The biggest plus to that is you don't have to worry about sediment in the bottom of the bottle because there is none when filling from a keg.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do both keg and bottle. I like the ability to give away a lot of beer and take it with me places, which kegs are not always practical for. I have a 12 gal batch that I will be bottling within the next few weeks. I figure that will take me around 4 hours to bottle. Personally I don't mind bottling at all. But I do like to keep my kegs full as well.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Another advantage of kegging is you can pour yourself a half glass if that's all you want. Or just give a sample to someone before you pour them a whole glass.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy44 View Post
So. You don't need to condition the beer before kegging? I mean, yes it gets carbed faster... but does the beer need to sit for an extra couple weeks as it would from bottling to meld the flavors?
Conditioning time is going to be beer dependent, no matter if you keg or bottle. Kegs also make great bulk aging vessels. They're also safer, and have a smaller footprint than a carboy. You can also naturally carb your beer in the keg just like you would a bottle if you prefer instead of force carbing. And, if you really want a few bottles to share, or enter into comps, it's really easy to bottle off the keg.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Each process has its own pros and cons. Kegging is more expensive up front for equipment and will cost more over time with supplies required like CO2. If you decide to keg and still like portability you can always use a beer gun to fill bottles and growlers easily.

While you can carbonate faster there is still some conditioning time for the beer just like in the bottle but the overall time is reduced due to the faster carbonation.

It really comes down to choice and what works best for you. While there is a lot involved in bottling, there is a lot involved in kegging as well. Yes you are only filling one vessel to keg but you also have to regularly clean and sanitize lines, taps, gaskets, tubing and everything else that comes in touch with your beer so IMO the time saved packaging is eventually consumed by the regular maintenance tasks.

Some will say draft beer tastes better, some don't necessarily agree.

This is all my opinion, I elect to bottle and do not keg. My final volume is always 6 gallons and requires 60 bottles. I can clean, sanitize and bottle an entire batch in about 1.5 hours solo, about 45-60 minutes with a helper. We enjoy the process and the ability to have a myriad of variety in the fridge on any given day or the ability to put together mixed 6 packs to head out to a party and share.

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts as well

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Big_Cat Likes This 

Quick Reply