New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Keg Foaming, 5k feet altitude gain...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
WenValley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Keg Foaming, 5k feet altitude gain...

I live at about 800 elevation. I took a keg of properly carbed Centennial Blonde from the keezer to a mountain lodge for a work party.

It was foam city. Couldn't get the keg to dispense anything but thick, creamy foam. Finally decanted into a large teapot and waited for the foam to dissipate, then served the beer from the teapot.

I've been pondering this problem as I have to take another keg to the same location for another work party this weekend.

It dawned on my today that going from 800 feet, to 5500 feet probably has something to do with the foam problem.

But I'm stumped about how to fix this.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i'm guessing a lot has to do with it getting shaken during transport.
in which case you can release some pressure ever couple days without putting it on gas. The greater amount of air space, the less times you'll have to do it.

think of it this way...
you release the CO2 pressuring the beer. The CO2 in the beer takes a while do create a balance with the now lower pressure volume of space above it.
when it balances out, you'll have less CO2 in the beer.

I doubt it's an elevation issue otherwise bottles would foam like heck as well and brewers would issue special high altitude batches.

I've brought some from 5280 to 9600 quite often. never a keg yet...

Old 10-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure you're on the right track. The road to the lodge is mostly dirt. It's VERY rough. Like putting the keg on a paint shaker. The keg will only have about four hours to stabilize before being tapped.

The last keg that I took up was just a little over half full, this keg is almost full to the top. I hope it makes a difference.

Your point about commercial beers not over foaming was something that I thought about too.

Thanks.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
JamieT
Recipes 

Force carb it when you get there..

Secondary 1&2: -----
Secondary 3&4: -----
Secondary 5&6: -----

On Deck: ......

Tap 1: cashed...
Tap 2: Ed Worts Haus
Tap 3: Great Pumpkin Ale
Tap 4: Strange IIPA

Old 10-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The atmospheric pressure difference due to the elevation gain isn't enough to significantly affect the balance of the system.

It could also be that the length of your serving line it too short, the beer was warmer than when it was carbonated or you were serving at too high of a pressure.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you say you tried everything, does that include using a serving pressure of about 3-5psi? I transport 2 3gal kegs all the time, and serve almost immediately. The lines are ketp cold and I server at 3 psi.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
JamieT
Recipes 

Silly question... But is it possible the lines were reversed? You'll get nothing but a monster foam ball that way..

Secondary 1&2: -----
Secondary 3&4: -----
Secondary 5&6: -----

On Deck: ......

Tap 1: cashed...
Tap 2: Ed Worts Haus
Tap 3: Great Pumpkin Ale
Tap 4: Strange IIPA

Old 10-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think the key here is to get the beer extremely cold when you arrive and let the beer settle down before serving. Also, make yourself an extra long serving line. I think the ambient pressure drop for 5000 higher elevation is close to 1.5 psi so it should theoretically affect the line balance.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The picnic tap was stored in the cooler with the keg. It's the same 3/16"x6' tap that I use at home. The keg was kept iced in a Coleman Extreme cooler but I just used the extra ice from the ice maker. My keezer's Ranco control is set at 38 degrees.

I didn't adjust the keg pressure from the keezer to the lodge, until it went total foam, then I started dumping pressure. That didn't work.

It was about freezing out, and was spitting snow so I didn't get a big temperature bump.

The kegs are pinlock, so no chance to get the lines reversed. I'm going to really ice down the next keg to see if I can get the temps down a little more. Also this next keg is almost full.

It's a sad thing when you roll out your homebrew and the quality goes into the crapper due to foam.

I've transported and served kegs before, and not had problems, but this road to the lodge is something from the Himalaya Mountains.

I'm going to try and give the keg a couple of more hours to settle down and play nice.

Thanks!

Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
s1080
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Force carb it when you get there..
That would do the trick... and you could drink it in moments (moments being maybe 10 min)

Quick Reply