Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Keeping inventory of your homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Keeping inventory of your homebrew

I've been brewing for 6.5 months and am actually beginning to build a pretty solid pipeline for my needs. I bottle all of my 5 gallon batches and brew every three weeks or so.

Just curious if any of you keep inventory of your beer. I don't have tons of bottles, but would like to have an updated list anytime someone comes by so I know what I can offer them. Care to share your system?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Mark_
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have an answer for you but am currently working on the same thing. I'll be interested to hear the responses.

To keep track of what's what I do use a color coding system using the colored dots you can buy at OfficeMax and such stores.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
markmc40
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use a number system. My first was a Newcastle clone so... 1-Newcastle clone, etc. I got a sharpie and wrote a "1" on the bottle caps after bottling. A quick look in the storage spot and I knew what I had. I've moved on to kegging, but I keep the numbers for batches for keeping straight in Beersmith, etc. I only assign the number after it's actually brewed and everything stays straight that way and I won't lose a recipe if I want to repeat.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2193 Times on 1909 Posts
Likes Given: 1638

When I get a lot of boxes built up,I use sticky notes on each stack denoting what it is,OG/FG,bottling date. I then put a letter or letters on the cap when it goes in the fridge naming it.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I do a couple things -

For my own organization I Label kegs with duct tape, and I label six packs/cases of bottles with duct tape labels as well. I will also write on the caps if I am getting "stray" bottles - just something that I can recognize (Pils, IPA, Eng-Br, etc.).

For guests/letting them know what is available, I have a smaller dry-erase board on my fridge/bar area like the pic. below.

*I also use a dry erase board in my brewroom to keep a list of "things I need to buy" - as I always remember what I am out of while brewing, and then forget later when I am shopping.

beer-menu.jpg  
Primary: Double Citra IPA, American Brown Ale, Oatmeal Amber Ale
Secondary/Lagering:
Future Brews: Heady Topper Clone, Porter, Ordinary Bitter, Dortmunder, Pilsner, Scottish 70, More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
I do a couple things -

For my own organization I Label kegs with duct tape, and I label six packs/cases of bottles with duct tape labels as well. I will also write on the caps if I am getting "stray" bottles - just something that I can recognize (Pils, IPA, Eng-Br, etc.).

For guests/letting them know what is available, I have a smaller dry-erase board on my fridge/bar area like the pic. below.

*I also use a dry erase board in my brewroom to keep a list of "things I need to buy" - as I always remember what I am out of while brewing, and then forget later when I am shopping.
Love your beer names.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor
I do a couple things -

If I saw that beer list at a pub I would probably be the happiest I've ever been.

I made these stickers that have Uncle Sam pointing and it says "I Want You To Drink This ____________." And I fill in the beer style, put it on the keg, any bottles I fill from keg, and boxes. I haven't settled on a brewery name (it's like a tattoo--lifetime decision.) And I rarely have cool names like Braufessor.

I might make a spreadsheet too, but for now, it's good enough!

PS: Sour Cherry Stout: is this recipe available?

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Libeerty..... Maybe that is why I am always so happy in my basement

I can get the cherry stout recipe together and send it to you...... No idea if it is any good, or if it worked the way I want it to (want a tart/sour/cherry flavored stout in the realm of New Glarus Cherry Stout) - but I will outline what I did/am doing. I brewed it up 3 months ago, and plan on it taking a year+. I will PM you with it.

Primary: Double Citra IPA, American Brown Ale, Oatmeal Amber Ale
Secondary/Lagering:
Future Brews: Heady Topper Clone, Porter, Ordinary Bitter, Dortmunder, Pilsner, Scottish 70, More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 734 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 654

Like others, I write on the bottle caps with a Sharpie. I don't use the batch number though, I find that too crypic. I just use an abbreviation. Things like "IPA" are self-explanatory, but others are pretty easy to decode since I know what I've recently brewed. "S" is a Stout, "BIPA" is a Black IPA, "BP" is a Bohemian Pilsener, and so forth.

That said, I keg my beers, so I only do the bottle-cap labeling for a few bottles from each batch when I want to finish off a keg or bring some bottles to share with co-workers. With the keg itself, I have a little tag on a recipe card, attached with simple string, that specifies the batch number, style, brew date, and original gravity. This tag goes on the carboy during fermentation and conditioning, and gets moved to the keg when it's kegged. I also update it with the ABV once final gravity has been reached.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
I do a couple things -

I'll have a pint of sour cherry stout please.

Oh man... it's only 7:25am, and that sounds GREAT.

Quick Reply