Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Justice Department Files Antitrust Lawsuit Challenging AB Inbev/Modelo Group Deal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Default Justice Department Files Antitrust Lawsuit Challenging AB Inbev/Modelo Group Deal

Hope the thread title is not too long, but I thought I would post this.
http://beerpulse.com/2013/01/justice-department-files-antitrust-lawsuit-challenging-a-b-inbev-grupo-modelo-deal/

I dont' care either way, just thought it would be interesting to have a little discussion on the matter. anyways, whatchuthink?

SMALL AXE BREWING
"If you are a big tree, we are a small axe, ready to cut you down."-Bob Marley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Considering the actions of the Dept. I'd say it is a high profile smoke screen.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 315

If you ask me, they need knocked down a notch. They need to quit turning gold into platinum before we run out of gold.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
GarageDweller
Recipes 

With all the billions of dollars that they talked about in that article, I think they are doing okay. I have nothing against big business making good money. However, it seems like they are taking over the whole world of larger breweries. I guess that is the in evitable future of Large breweries Throughout the world. NWO of beer n such...

SMALL AXE BREWING

Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 177

A logical move, should the deal be approved, would be to *lower* the prices on the the beer. Broadening your marketbase would provide enough gains that a reduction in price wouldn't hurt, and might actually attract more consumers.

Anyways, and maybe this belongs in a different thread, but I noticed just today that my local Kroger has SIGNIFICANTLY (yes, all caps) broadened their selection of craft brew. So much so that it actually spills out of the beer/wine area and they have to keep it on warm racks. Also, they offer a build-your-own craft six pack.

It seems the third-party knows that the money is not with BMC anymore, but the ever expanding craft market.

Two small victories for the beer lover.

Kegged: The Weevil Dead IIPA | Tornado Warning Imperial Stout | Prepare To Die Porter

Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
GarageDweller
Recipes 

my only problem is that the billion dollar corps have a lockdown on the distribution laws in my state. it makes it tough for some quality companies to want to look at shipping their product here. a lot of the best beer available is from in state breweries. this is a good thing, but more options are even better. the people with all the money, make all the rules. i can still get some awesome beers just the same. i doubt any of these guys will sell their company for $20bill. though...wonder how much this years super bowl commercial will cost?

SMALL AXE BREWING

Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral View Post
Anyways, and maybe this belongs in a different thread, but I noticed just today that my local Kroger has SIGNIFICANTLY (yes, all caps) broadened their selection of craft brew. So much so that it actually spills out of the beer/wine area and they have to keep it on warm racks. Also, they offer a build-your-own craft six pack.
My local Kroger here in Indianapolis is doing the same thing. In fact I was talking to a small craft brewer here in Indiana at Winterfest (beer festival) last weekend and he told me that Kroger was the only place in central Indiana that I could find his beer right now. Kroger's goin hogwild on craft beer... Maybe they're trying to corner that market and see something the rest of the chains don't yet? Personally I think they should do more advertising instead of all of us learning about it by word of mouth but it is a good thing either way. Kroger's always been my favorite supermarket but I'm even more impressed with them now.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 62

http://antitrust.bna.com/atrc/7031/split_display.adp?fedfid=29776048&vname=atdbulalli ssues&jd=a0d6p5k3z6&split=0

"February 22, 2013 • Volume 13 Number 36
Mergers and Acquisitions
Anheuser-Busch InBev Volleys Offer
To Quash DOJ's Anticompetitive Concerns
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV has offered to "sell to Constellation Brands, Inc., a brewery that currently produces certain Grupo Modelo beers, and would grant perpetual brand licenses to Constellation for Grupo Modelo brands in the U.S.,..."

Constellation Brands with Crown were the two intervenors opposing the merger. Both have requested DoJ to stay the suit.

Drinking: Scaldis Belgian Special Ale; Allagash Grand Cru; AHS Budget IPA; William Moore's Summer Beer; Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter; AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious; Innis & Gunn Original II; Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale.
Bottled: NB La Petite Orange Blanche (first taste 30 August 2014)
Untappd: DromJohn

Quick Reply