Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Just tried Paulaner Hefe?????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Behemoth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Just tried Paulaner Hefe?????

Im not diggin the taste . This beer was on a room temp shelf a the local LS. The bottle date was 3/09. Kinda, well alot nutty to me. Can taste a little spice. That about all. Any body have any input to add. IS it just me or is it bad????? Im into my 2nd bottle. Ive had alot of diff beers but this my be a dud.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dig that beer. Hefe's have an incredibly short shelf life though. Some argue you can't get a fresh hefe unless it's domestic. 3/09 sounds pretty f'ing old for that style of beer. I was drinking off a Paulaner keg the other night at the local ale house. Really good. Actually it's basically a world class example of the style.

However I still prefer Weihenstephaner, , Scheider Weisse, Ayinger or Hacker-Pschorr probably in that order.

In fact Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Dunkelweiss, and Schenider Aventinus are probably 3 of my favorite beers in the world.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
Behemoth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, I was thinking it was kinda old too . Its not bad but I too think 7 months at room temps may be pushing it. Im actually waiting for my dunkel and hefe shipment from northern to come in, possibly this week end then I can make a fresh batch.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstrat View Post
I dig that beer. Hefe's have an incredibly short shelf life though. Some argue you can't get a fresh hefe unless it's domestic. 3/09 sounds pretty f'ing old for that style of beer. I was drinking off a Paulaner keg the other night at the local ale house. Really good. Actually it's basically a world class example of the style.

However I still prefer Weihenstephaner, , Scheider Weisse, Ayinger or Hacker-Pschorr probably in that order.

In fact Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Dunkelweiss, and Schenider Aventinus are probably 3 of my favorite beers in the world.
Those are all good too, but my top three would be Bamberger Weiss (not exported), Julius Echter and Tucher...

Old 10-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Behemoth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Those are all good too, but my top three would be Bamberger Weiss (not exported), Julius Echter and Tucher...
Nice, is that because you've been to Germany 99? My wife has family in Erzgeberg Germany. Its in the eastern mountain range. They are known for Nutcrackers and Herbal Schnapps, not like the stuff here in the States. I think we may be going soon to visit. Need at least 2 weeks to browse

Old 10-10-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Yes. I lived in Augsburg for 4 years (1975-1979) and outside of Bamberg for 5 years (1999-2004).

I've also vacationed there from the States/business trip about 4 times between 1980 and 1994...

I went over on a business trip for 2 weeks in the summer of 2006, my last time there.

Are you from Vineland? I'm from Camden.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #7
Behemoth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Yes. I lived in Augsburg for 4 years (1975-1979) and outside of Bamberg for 5 years (1999-2004).

I've also vacationed there from the States/business trip about 4 times between 1980 and 1994...

I went over on a business trip for 2 weeks in the summer of 2006, my last time there.

Are you from Vineland? I'm from Camden.
Yes sir, Vineland here. Illinois eh, thats a far cry from camden. Cant say that I blame ya.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Paulaner is one of my favorite commercially brewed Hefes. I thought it has a spicy clove taste to it, something that is true to hefes. I could probably drink 3 or 18 of them at any given time

Old 10-10-2009, 04:17 AM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes sir, Vineland here. Illinois eh, thats a far cry from camden. Cant say that I blame ya.
Well, I actually left Camden way back in the 60s. Lived in So Philly until '67 then back to Woodlyn/Collingswood before moving to Atlantic City in 1969.

Came out to IL in '87...NC in '97-'99 then Germany til '04. Retiring in January '10.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #10
Behemoth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Well, I actually left Camden way back in the 60s. Lived in So Philly until '67 then back to Woodlyn/Collingswood before moving to Atlantic City in 1969.

Came out to IL in '87...NC in '97-'99 then Germany til '04. Retiring in January '10.
Sounds like your a true South jersey / philly boy. Nothing wrong with that. It hardens the soul. Ive seen you around these forums with alot of good info. Excuse the sarcasm, but I guess your like an elder around here. Im new here, but made a few friends that deeply like to help out alot. Im grateful.

Quick Reply