The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Just realized I'm a beer nerd

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
BeerMe21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Just realized I'm a beer nerd

So I'm in the middle of brewing a chocolate hazelnut brown ale and I take a look around my kitchen. This is what I see: a keggle boiling away, a 1L Erlenmeyer flask with my WY1099 starter bubbling away, laptop open with beersmith up, a hydrometer on the counter, digital probe thermometer, 10 different ziploc bags of specialty grains, a 50lb bag of 2-row, a grain mill, 7 different styles of beer glasses (including 4oz taster glasses) on my 3-tap kegerator...

Then I realize.... Wow, I'm a beer nerd

Anybody else had something similar happen while brewing?

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 109

My wife called me a beer nerd just the other day.

I almost always have the stir plate going. Either for a starter of for harvesting some yeast from comercial brews.

Fermenters filled with brew both downstair or in the spare bedroom, depending on the temp I want them at. Many cases of brew piled up in the basement. Usually at least 5 different brews in my fridge ( I like variety) and many different styles in the pipeline.

A big plastic storage container of many different grains, Hops in the freezer, washed yeasts in the fridge.

Homebrewtalk as the homepage on my computer. Brew software on both my computer and iPad.

Gotta love this hobby/addiction

Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe21 View Post
..... I take a look around my kitchen. This is what I see: a keggle boiling away ....
You are boiling in a keggle in your kitchen??

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 10-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
BeerMe21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
You are boiling in a keggle in your kitchen??
Lol, yeah 10 gallon BIAB

Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe21 View Post
Lol, yeah 10 gallon BIAB
Uh, yeah, you're a beer nerd!

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
BeerMe21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
My wife called me a beer nerd just the other day.

I almost always have the stir plate going. Either for a starter of for harvesting some yeast from comercial brews.

Fermenters filled with brew both downstair or in the spare bedroom, depending on the temp I want them at. Many cases of brew piled up in the basement. Usually at least 5 different brews in my fridge ( I like variety) and many different styles in the pipeline.

A big plastic storage container of many different grains, Hops in the freezer, washed yeasts in the fridge.

Homebrewtalk as the homepage on my computer. Brew software on both my computer and iPad.

Gotta love this hobby/addiction
Awesome! I can't wait until I get a bigger place so I can expand some. Somehow I am managing this in an 850 square foot apartment, swmbo and and my brewing hobby are starting to feel cramped lol.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My missus won't come home when I'm making beer.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just as long as you don't become a beer snob. I go onto Beer Advocate and read crap like,

"Nose is just awesome before I even put my nose in the glass. It's like a wedding of Citra and Simcoe super fresh hops and they're spitting out babies into my nostrils. Going deeper brings so much fruit, tropical fruit mostly. A big citrus kick in the face with a slight orange zest, fresh squeezed grapefruit, waves of tropical fruit with some pineapple, guava, mango, and a big passion fruit kick. Damn! As I stuck my nose in deeper I get a bit of the beer on my nose and mustache, forcing me to lick it off, what a shame... back to the nose, a slight musty fresh wet hop resin comes through but lightly, and more of the tropical fruits with some nice tangerine and an overripe clementine."

and then I want to find out where this guy lives so I can go punch him right in his smug face.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
BeerMe21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Just as long as you don't become a beer snob. I go onto Beer Advocate and read crap like,

"Nose is just awesome before I even put my nose in the glass. It's like a wedding of Citra and Simcoe super fresh hops and they're spitting out babies into my nostrils. Going deeper brings so much fruit, tropical fruit mostly. A big citrus kick in the face with a slight orange zest, fresh squeezed grapefruit, waves of tropical fruit with some pineapple, guava, mango, and a big passion fruit kick. Damn! As I stuck my nose in deeper I get a bit of the beer on my nose and mustache, forcing me to lick it off, what a shame... back to the nose, a slight musty fresh wet hop resin comes through but lightly, and more of the tropical fruits with some nice tangerine and an overripe clementine."

and then I want to find out where this guy lives so I can go punch him right in his smug face.
You mean that was real?? Hilarious!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
Jakemo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My "man cave" is about 1/2 taken over with beer fridge, brewing equipment, and beer.

The spare bathroom only has a toilet because the tub is completely occupied by brewing equipment.

The entire space of the cabinet above the refrigerator is filled with different specialty beer glasses.

Our outside storage closet is 1/2 filled with boxes full of empties I've been collecting since college.

Oh yeah, there's a stack of those in the Man Cave, too.

This is all in a 2 bed, 2 bath apt. And I'm sure that looks weak in comparison to some of you

Quick Reply