Just had a SA Winter Lager...tons of diacetyl?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
Anyone else notice a ton of diacetyl? I generally like SA, but Winter Lager is terrible. I have had it before and never noticed, but I haven't had any since I started brewing. Just curious.

:mug:

Agreed with too much ginger. White Christmas is bad too, and cherry chocolate bock I couldn't drink, but luckily the wife liked it. The holiday 12 pack sucks this year.

I've detected acetaldehyde in some Boston Beer Company varieties that I have had. Never any diacetyl though.

I had the winter lager a couple weeks ago, I didn't get any diacetyl. Thought it was pretty decent, actually. Did you get it on tap somewhere? Could've been nasty lines. I can smell diacetyl from a mile away nowadays after an infection issue in my kegging system about 6 months ago.

I am definitely no pro at detecting off flavors, but I most definitely felt this slick, oily mouthfeel when I drank a winter lager. It was in a bottle. I bought the winter variety as well...HUGE disappointment. They should have stuck with the regular chocolate bock from the past. I enjoyed the fezziwigs ale though. White Christmas was not all that great either.

I had a S.A. winter lager on tap this weekend. I agree to much ginger and very oil slick kinda taste. I couldn't wait to finish it. Dont know what they were thinking with this years batch. I didnt like there October fest this year either.

I had a S.A. winter lager on tap this weekend. I agree to much ginger and very oil slick kinda taste. I couldn't wait to finish it. Dont know what they were thinking with this years batch. I didnt like there October fest this year either.
funny me and my swmbo didn't like this years oktoberfest either. seemed thinner and more plain than past years. Its usually is pretty good.
I look forward to S A winter lager. crap! I guess i'll have to pick up just a small amount to check it out.

Back