Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Just got an offer from a local brewery to do contract brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
jlaureanti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default contract brewing

Cheers everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone is doing this and what the pros and cons were. I may have an opportunity to do this but it would be a long shot.

I really do not want to hand over my recipes to someone else and let them brew my beer for me. I want to be involved in every step of my brews. Is there another option that I can do? I have heard that there is a way for me to rent space in another brewery and use their equipment, allowing me to be responsible for every step of by beers.

In either case I am super excited about this opportunity and can't wait to see what I can turn this into. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Last edited by jlaureanti; 12-16-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: clarification

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

What is the purpose?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I live here in AZ. I'm curious which brewery? Sun Up, Sonoran, Sleepy Dog?

As for your recipes, They'll stay yours. There seems be a certain level of professional courtesy in the brewing profession. Which goes for you too: I would make sure none of the brews you plan on selling step on any toes of the breweries here in town.

I'm assuming you already have, or are, working on the legal side of things, if you are going to be labeling beer for market, you need to be a 'brewery' with the state, file all the needed forms, and pay the needed costs associated with that.

Lots of things to think about...

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaureanti View Post
Cheers everyone!
Is there another option that I can do? I have heard that there is a way for me to rent space in another brewery and use their equipment, allowing me to be responsible for every step of by beers.
Yes, this is an option, but one that requires significantly more time and money. If they take the recipe and brew it for you, you don't have to jump through any hoops. But then you also don't get as much control, as you've realized.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
What is the purpose?
+1 are they asking to buy your recipe from you? Will your name be represnted?
KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaureanti View Post
Cheers everyone!

Today I was just offered a deal with a local brewery to do some contract brewing. I was just wondering if anyone is doing this and what the pros and cons were.

I really do not want to hand over my recipes to someone else and let them brew my beer for me. I want to be involved in every step of my brews. Is there another option that I can do? I have heard that there is a way for me to rent space in another brewery and use their equipment, allowing me to be responsible for every step of by beers.

In either case I am super excited about this opportunity and can'y wait to see what I can turn this into. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
In contract brewing you would have little involvement in brewing. Your job would be to license and sell the beers.

Alternating proprietorship is where you would lease the breweries equipment but be your own independent brewery. This is what Jamil Z is doing and he said in order to have an alternating proprietorship approved you have to have a business plan that involves getting your own equipment/building etc at some point.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
jlaureanti
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
What is the purpose?
My purpose is to make wonderful beer that I can share with everyone. I hope to one day run a completely organic brewery where I grow all my ingredients (yeah, I know high hopes but you gotta dream big right?)

Quote:
I live here in AZ. I'm curious which brewery? Sun Up, Sonoran, Sleepy Dog?

As for your recipes, They'll stay yours. There seems be a certain level of professional courtesy in the brewing profession. Which goes for you too: I would make sure none of the brews you plan on selling step on any toes of the breweries here in town.

I'm assuming you already have, or are, working on the legal side of things, if you are going to be labeling beer for market, you need to be a 'brewery' with the state, file all the needed forms, and pay the needed costs associated with that.

Lots of things to think about...
We haven't fully finished our agreement yet so I don't think it is right for me to name names yet. But, it is a brewery in tempe and no its not 4 peaks (i wish) or sleepy dog (also a very nice brewery).

I am in the process of getting all my applications filled out and filed. I am just not exactly sure what license I need? I am thinking I need a nano brewery license (series 01 in arizona), but I am not sure since I am hoping to do the contract brewing.

Also, I do not want to step on any toes. I do know that Four Peaks 8th St. Ale is a nearly perfect pale ale and Sleepy Dog has a delicous hefe. I would hope to meerly add to the craft brewing that is going on here in town.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
jlaureanti
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
+1 are they asking to buy your recipe from you? Will your name be represnted?
Currently we are in the middle of the negotiations. The idea was literally presented to me this morning and I am trying to get some background info for when we are scheduled to meet next.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am still confused on what you are doing. Are you brewing your beers for them to sell? Brewing their beers for them for them to sell? What is the partnership?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I still don't understand the point of what you are doing. You are going to have a brewery brew your beer and then you are going to drink it or give it away or sell it?

Quick Reply