Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > just found beer in co2 tank... help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default just found beer in co2 tank... help.

I found beer in my co2 tank and gas lines and assuming the regulator. I burst carbed for the first time. Set the regulator to 30 psi for 24 hrs then purged and dropped it to 10. Later that night i had no pressure and beer in all my gear. How did this happen? Is my tank, reg, and line screwed? How can i prevent this. Thanks for all your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Sounds like your 1 way valve (if you have one) was bad. Did you carb through the beer out post? If not then you may have filled up your keg too full and when you dropped pressure you sucked back beer into the Reg. Yes if you got beer in the tank and Reg then the regulator will need to be taken apart and cleaned for sure. If I knew for sure I got beer in my tank then I would take the tank to a welding supply house and let them know what happened and ask what should be done. I am guessing they are just going to take it in as an exchange and send it out for cleaning and hydro. But PLEASE don't pass it on without saying anything, you will be screwing the next guy!

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Billy-Klubb Likes This 
Old 06-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
basilchef
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Sounds like your 1 way valve (if you have one) was bad. Did you carb through the beer out post? If not then you may have filled up your keg too full and when you dropped pressure you sucked back beer into the Reg. Yes if you got beer in the tank and Reg then the regulator will need to be taken apart and cleaned for sure. If I knew for sure I got beer in my tank then I would take the tank to a welding supply house and let them know what happened and ask what should be done. I am guessing they are just going to take it in as an exchange and send it out for cleaning and hydro. But PLEASE don't pass it on without saying anything, you will be screwing the next guy!

Cheers
Jay
It's my personal brand new tank. I don't want to pass it on if i dont have too. So this means my tank is screwed? Also i carbed through the in post.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Sounds like you need a check valve on the line from the CO2 tank, the regulator does not serve this function at all and will allow beer to flood back in the line and possibly to the tank.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I did this once. In the future don't fill your kegs past the bottom of the gas dip tube.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
It's my personal brand new tank. I don't want to pass it on if i dont have too. So this means my tank is screwed? Also i carbed through the in post.
Even being your personal tank you can "exchange" it. No your not screwed at all. Like I said I would talk to a welding supply house and see how they would handle it. If you don't want to exchange your tank then just turn your tank over (up side down) without the regulator and open the valve and drain it. Then take it in and tell them what happened and see how you should go about fixing it. I am willing to bet a simple purge is all it will take.

I carb through my beer out post. But I have a good working 1 way valve on my system, so there is never a chance of back flooding my valve.
Cheers
Jay

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 06-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
Take your regulator apart before beer dries in there and ruins it. You still may have ruined it, but it's worth a shot.

And, make sure you a. install a check valve in the beer line below the regulator! and b. don't carb through the in post!

Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Take your regulator apart before beer dries in there and ruins it. You still may have ruined it, but it's worth a shot.

And, make sure you a. install a check valve in the beer line below the regulator! and b. don't carb through the in post!
Yooper
Most people carb through the gas in post, its the safest way to do it really. I am willing to bet he filled his keg up to full and got his beer into the gas in tube without a check valve. Recipe for disaster if that's the case.

Cheers
Jay

Old 06-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
basilchef
Recipes 

Quote:

Yooper
Most people carb through the gas in post, its the safest way to do it really. I am willing to bet he filled his keg up to full and got his beer into the gas in tube without a check valve. Recipe for disaster if that's the case.

Cheers
Jay
I think i did over fill it. I left an inch or two from the very top.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Yooper

Cheers
Jay
You're right! I read that as "in the "out" post". Carbing in the "in" post is right, and I'm sorry for the error on my part.

Filling above the bottom of the "in" diptube is probably what caused this problem.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply