Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Just don't get it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
SmugMug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Just don't get it

I fully realize that we all have different tastes and preferences when it comes to beer, but I really need to ask all of you a question.

What is so appealing about an IIPA??

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I love beer of all shapes, sizes, and flavors. I've never turned down a beer offered to me that I've never tried. That being said, I had the Rogue IIPA last night for the first time and it was all I could do not to spit it back out. The intensity of the hops nearly numbed my tongue! It's not enjoyable to me and seemed WAY over the top and had no balance to it. So I want to know why hop-heads seek these beers out. The bite of the hops was so much that I followed it up with an imperial stout and I couldn't taste it. SWMBO wouldn't even come close to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Its something about those hops that just get me every time. Every tongue buckling IIPA is like heaven. Really, the point of an American IIPA (especially west coast) is an unbalanced beer. If thats wrong, I don't want to be right.

I think uber hoppy beer and hot food are similar. Turns out I am a freak about both. Not everyone likes hot food, but those who do usually have an unhealthy obsession with it.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never been a huge hophead, but sometimes I get in the mood! It is kinda like when you were a kid and tried some of those ridiculously bitter candies- there were some kids who thought those were the best in the world, some who tried 'em every now and then, and some who would never touch it.

[I'm back!]

Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Its something about those hops that just get me every time. Every tongue buckling IIPA is like heaven. Really, the point of an American IIPA (especially west coast) is an unbalanced beer. If thats wrong, I don't want to be right.

I think uber hoppy beer and hot food are similar. Turns out I am a freak about both. Not everyone likes hot food, but those who do usually have an unhealthy obsession with it.
Next time someone offers me an IIPA, I'll toss it your way. But you keep your grubby hands off of my spicy food! Speaking of spicy food, Gumbo and Hennepin make the perfect couple. Then again, I'm just addicted to Hennepin.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

When I first started brewing, I was far from a hophead. Over time, though, I started enjoying hoppy beers more and more. I'm now a complete hophead. IPA is by far my favorite style, but I like an occasional IIPA, too.

An explosion of flavor, with a malt backbone to hold it up, is a great experience with beer.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
But you keep your grubby hands off of my spicy food! Speaking of spicy food, Gumbo and Hennepin make the perfect couple. Then again, I'm just addicted to Hennepin.
Get a hold of a Saison Dupont and you'll forget all about Hennepin.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickerNu View Post
I have never been a huge hophead, but sometimes I get in the mood! It is kinda like when you were a kid and tried some of those ridiculously bitter candies- there were some kids who thought those were the best in the world, some who tried 'em every now and then, and some who would never touch it.
Well, not to really stir the pot, but that's what I'm talking about. It's more like a fad to see who can drink the hoppiest, most face-melting beer out there and say they actually like it. Why not bypass the beer altogether and just start eating hops with vodka chasers? I think an APA is a good, balanced, refreshing beer, but an IIPA is just so unbalanced there's nothing refreshing about it. To me.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not all IIPAs are created equally. I'm with you for the most part, but I do indulge in one once in awhile. I have yet to brew a IIPA and probably won't for awhile. Like you I prefer other styles much more.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Get a hold of a Saison Dupont and you'll forget all about Hennepin.
But but but but......I just discovered Hennepin. Damn.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmugMug View Post
Well, not to really stir the pot, but that's what I'm talking about. It's more like a fad to see who can drink the hoppiest, most face-melting beer out there and say they actually like it. Why not bypass the beer altogether and just start eating hops with vodka chasers? I think an APA is a good, balanced, refreshing beer, but an IIPA is just so unbalanced there's nothing refreshing about it. To me.
I think thats taking it a little too far. If you are talking about the folks on Beer Advocate, I'd agree. They are a bunch of EAC pricks who have no sense of what good beer is (thats my impression at least). Most people here on the other hand don't go posting all over the net that they tried HopSlam, Pliny, Ruination etc...and loved it. I do love those beers, but I don't think its an accomplishment that I liked them.

Quick Reply