Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Just bottled a beer I have little hope for...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
DRoyLenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Just bottled a beer I have little hope for...

...sigh....

IMPORTANT EDIT: FG was 1.036, not OG....

FG was 1.036. The recipe was my first attempt at developing my own, and I WAY over spiced and put way too much molasses in. It is extremely sweet, and has a hot alcohol taste from fermenting at 78F.

Its been sitting in secondary for 3 months, because I didn't feel like doing anything with it, but I need the carboy now, so I threw it in the bottles. Maybe after it's carbed up and chilled, it'll be a little more drinkable.

I just wanted to vent, and to see if anyone can give me a bit of hope. Maybe a story of a beer you thought had no hope of drinkability that actually turned out pretty good. Something to make me feel better about temporarily sacrificing 48 bottles.

Last edited by DRoyLenz; 11-23-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's a whole thread of stories right here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/never-dump-your-beer-patience-virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Also my 1.090 Belgian strong took three months to carb up and at nearly a year is finally losing it's hot alcohol taste.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
CalmYourself
Recipes 

I've got a batch of beer that I call the "drink-this-after-drinking-a-few-other-decent-beers-so-you-can't-tell-how-bad-this-actually-is" beer. Pretty awful, but I don't need the bottles and it does actually seem to be getting better with time

Primary: Nothing
On Tap: Cream of 3 Crops Ale

http://nochillbrews.blogspot.com/

Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
norwegiangeek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm doing this same thing tomorrow. It's my second batch of beer, and was an all-grain attempt at a jalapeño something or other. I went pretty far off the recipe and it just didn't seem to ferment that well.

On the plus side, I brewed up the Two Hearted clone that's on this forum and it smells beautiful and is bubbling away like mad. Moving on.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmYourself View Post
I've got a batch of beer that I call the "drink-this-after-drinking-a-few-other-decent-beers-so-you-can't-tell-how-bad-this-actually-is" beer. Pretty awful, but I don't need the bottles and it does actually seem to be getting better with time
This is how I plan to consume any F-ups.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've got a similar batch... i got a little crazy with some fruit, wanted a golden ale with a hint of berry flavor for the summer... ended up with with more of a purple skittle beer. But after about 6 months in the back of the bottle closet, it's manageable, and has faded from purple to almost copper colored.

We'll see how it is in the summer i guess.

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 11-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Chudz
Recipes 

Quote:
"purple skittle beer" -- BA from GA
This had me cracking up. It sounds like the kind of beer you'd be buying smurfette, hoping to get lucky.

Chudz,

How much sudz could a Sudz Chudz chugz, if a Sudz Chudz could chugz sudz?

Beer: It's a glassful of Happiness!

Quick Reply