Jalapeño brew- amount of jalapeños?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiGuy

Reaction score
I make coming up a jalapenos beer recipe. I would wondering how much should be good. I would like to get a "medium" heat. something that is definitely there but not kicking your ass. From what I have read I was thinking about 1 jalapeño per gallon. was thinking of putting about half in at the end of the boil and the other half in the secondary.

Thoughts?

I used 1 habenero deseeded and destemmed for a 1 gal batch. Not much aroma or heat in the mouth but a nice touch of heat in the throat after the swallow. Exactly what i wanted.

For jalepenos i would do 1-2 per gallon, deseeded and destemed.
Dont throw them in the boil, capsicum, the oil responsible for the heat will be volitized and drivin off i believe.
Slice thin for maximum surface area and soak in the secondary or vodka to make a tinture and add to taste.

Jalepenos are more vegetal IMO and if your not looking for aroma i would use habeneros.

I used 1 habenero deseeded and destemmed for a 1 gal batch. Not much aroma or heat in the mouth but a nice touch of heat in the throat after the swallow. Exactly what i wanted.

For jalepenos i would do 1-2 per gallon, deseeded and destemed.
Dont throw them in the boil, capsicum, the oil responsible for the heat will be volitized and drivin off i believe.
Slice thin for maximum surface area and soak in the secondary or vodka to make a tinture and add to taste.

Jalepenos are more vegetal IMO and if your not looking for aroma i would use habeneros.

Agree with this but let me add that from my research I have found that it is used as a dryhop addition, so you could essentially taste test for desired flavor.

You alluded to it but sometimes it needs to be said in plainspeak.

Yes,

Add it in secondary, that way you can taste test and package when the desired taste/flavor/heat is reached

I just did a jalapeno creme ale and entered it into competition this weekend. It scored a 40/50. I used 4 whole jalapenos in the boil(15 minutes) and 2 in the secondary(I took them out about a week in). They were roasted slightly, slit, and soaked in vodka overnight.

The judges comments were:

"jalapeno is perceived in the back of the throat, chile burn"
"a nice aftertaste of jalapenos, but not cloying"
"Nice jalapeno flavor"
"nice jalapeno flavor and a slight burn in the back of the throat. Good beer, I would drink this again."

It depends how big and how hot the jalepeno is. I used a large and small-medium for a 1.5 gal batch, it was mild though and unseasonable and not hot enough for me. I added the last 15 min of the boil and think I removed them. It was a really good beer with a nice jalepeno flavor. Mine has jalepeno aroma and flavor but lacking much of any heat, even going on something like a year now possibly more. I would try adding them at the end then check the taste before you secondary with your reading but you should get an idea with a OG sample of the wort.

Back