Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I've never brewed a "kit", but dang Northern Brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #41
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
The one thing that keeps me from going with any of their AG kits is that everything seems sized for 5 gallons exactly, which doesn't exaclty leave a whole lot of room for kettle or fermenter loss. For folks who've used their AG kits, am I reading that right, or am I missing something? Also, what kind of efficiency are they assuming with the amounts of grains they ship with the kits?
Yes, this is my only complaint about their AG kits. For me it's not a huge deal, because the two AG kits I've purchased from them have gravities that are a tad higher than I'd prefer for the style so easy to scale the volume up a little.

But I have to agree with all the others, their kits have never failed to result in good beers for me.

I think their assumed efficiency is like 65% or 70%. The one time I did get crushed grain from them and I hit 80% efficiency is when I first started suspecting that my LHBS crush was poor.

My wife drives by the Milwaukee store on the way to school, so I'm always asking her to pick up something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #42
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

The one kit I wish they had is the Tallgrass 8 bit pale ale. I'm not sure why they don't.

I'm guessing, but there is probably an obscene amount of Galaxy in there. So $$$.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #43
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
The one kit I wish they had is the Tallgrass 8 bit pale ale. I'm not sure why they don't.

I'm guessing, but there is probably an obscene amount of Galaxy in there. So $$$.
I really don't care for that beer. just a personal opinion. That said, I did make a great Galaxy Pale Ale a short while back.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #44
cincydave
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've done 8 of their kits (4 extact and 4 all grain) and was happy with all of them. The caribou slobber was really good, but for some reason, didn't carb much and next to nothing as far as head. Very tasty though.

Quick Reply