Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I've never brewed a "kit", but dang Northern Brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
ed5388
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkingj

You have to buy the yeast separate, but they come with pellet hops...

I've brewed at least three of their kits and enJoyed all three beers (inn keeper, caribou slobber and dead ringer - my favorite). I'd like to try their black IPA, it sound interesting.
I brewed the NB black ipa kit recently and it came out amazing!! Also brewed dead ringer which was awesome but I actually prefer the black ipa! I definitely recommend it! Went with wlp001 for my yeast choice.

Primary: Belgian Chocolate Stout
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Pumpkin Ale, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Milk Stout, Captain Morgan Oaked Black IPA, Brandon O's Graff, Gingerbread Spiced Brown Ale, Honey Bacon Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3688 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 3193

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed5388 View Post
I brewed the NB black ipa kit recently and it came out amazing!! Also brewed dead ringer which was awesome but I actually prefer the black ipa! I definitely recommend it! Went with wlp001 for my yeast choice.
I already make a ton of IPA's, so I'm going to pass on that. I've got 2 IPAs and 2 pale ales fermenting right now.

I've been making a 2-hearted clone for a while now. There's a recipe on this site somewhere I think I nabbed. It's really, really good if you can find centennial.

I think I'll get a kit for a beer style I don't normally make. An amber or a brown would be just right. Maybe even a mild.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I brewed up a few of their kits when I was still doing extract, and they all turned out very good quality beers. I recently brewed up the SS Minnow Mild, based on the recipe listed on their site, but not their actual kit. I'm not super crazy about how that one turned out, but I think that's more down to the style than the recipe (or the kit, had I gone with it).

The one thing that keeps me from going with any of their AG kits is that everything seems sized for 5 gallons exactly, which doesn't exaclty leave a whole lot of room for kettle or fermenter loss. For folks who've used their AG kits, am I reading that right, or am I missing something? Also, what kind of efficiency are they assuming with the amounts of grains they ship with the kits?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #24
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Do they come with yeast? Are the hops pellets or whole leaf?
Yes, (usually) a choice of liquid or dry, and the hops are pellets.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I would say that the Saison de Noel is a good choice for a kit from NB. You should check it out, Passed.

I've done a handful of kits from them and have always been impressed with the quality. I've done the Innkeeper, the Saison de Noel, that PM Tripel and others I can't remember. But they were all good.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3688 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 3193

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
I would say that the Saison de Noel is a good choice for a kit from NB. You should check it out, Passed.

I've done a handful of kits from them and have always been impressed with the quality. I've done the Innkeeper, the Saison de Noel, that PM Tripel and others I can't remember. But they were all good.
I just floated a keg of saison. Woof. I'm spent on that flavor. I used a Wyeast 3724/3711 blend, fermented at 85-90, and it came out very horsey and fruity, just what I was looking for but too much of a good thing has me yearning for a balanced beer, like an amber. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4924 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 992

Quote:
I already make a ton of IPA's, so I'm going to pass on that. I've got 2 IPAs and 2 pale ales fermenting right now.

I've been making a 2-hearted clone for a while now. There's a recipe on this site somewhere I think I nabbed. It's really, really good if you can find centennial.

I think I'll get a kit for a beer style I don't normally make. An amber or a brown would be just right. Maybe even a mild.
I make a ton of IPAs myself, and feel very confident of my ability with that style. But one of the NB kits I bought was the Irish Draught. That is something I didn't feel confident about making my own recipe for, and it worked out great. I would definitely try any of their kits, though.

Everyone I talked to (including my Texas neighbors) who made the Caribou Slobber from the NB kit loved it. My Texas neighbors, who travel to Austin once a month, still order all their recipe kits from Northern Brewer (they brew only from kits). I told them to stop into AHS, and they might, but they love their NB kits so much that they don't want to change.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 134

FYI- they still deliver by Pony Express. Sorry, no COD

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Their Caribou Slobber (Moose Drool) kit is quite good. Also their St Paul Porter recipe is fantastic. DeadRinger with slight hop modifications and Bells yeast makes a spot on 2H IPA. Lately I've been tempted by their Surly Furious clone (8.5 oz of dry hop!!!). With that one you don't save anything by buying ingredients separate.

I started out ordering my supplies from NB or MW loosely (sometimes very loosely) based on NB's recipes. Gives you a good place to start with new styles that you haven't brewed before. Now its much easier to make your own recipes from scratch. I am very lucky to live in a town with both Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies just down the road.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #30
gingerdawg
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:

There American Amber is a good recipe. I have brewed it a few times, and it is even better when I add a Cascade dry hop. I have dry hopped it with my home grown cascades, and it is great fresh.

Quick Reply