New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I've found it..I've found the Holy Grail!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #101
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halaster View Post
The 120 I found to be decent, but not a beer I always want to have in stock. Special occasions and such yes. The Pliny beer that was mentioned I haven't found a place in IL to buy that and would love to get my hands on it. Similar to Old Chub, I have had it before when on a business trip, but can't find a store in IL that carries it.
Russian River isn't distributed to your home state so you'll either have to trade for a bottle or order one from somewhere like Liquid Solutions.

I've not had the bottled version but I understand that general feedback is that the most recent bottle run is the best yet. Fresh Pliny on tap is prb one of my all time favorites.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #102
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalmedic View Post
I'm freaking jealous. Baton Rouge has no clue on good beer. Yeah, SN, Flying Dog, and a couple of others in the Whole Foods store. But that is it. Enjoy! lucky bast@rd
I always have to bring good beer back from Houston when I make trips there. BR is hard, but not too bad. At least I can get my Orval.

6g Better Bottle: Belgian Abt 12 Style
Kegged: English Barleywine, debaniel's Bananas Foster
Bottled: Dude's Fat Tire Clone, Belgian Pale Ale, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #103
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
Am I the only one who found it incredibly overrated? It was like drinking everclear infused with hops. Not for me I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I don't think it is THAT bad, but I do think it is overrated. It is a gimmick beer in my eyes, and nothing more.
I have to agree. I thought it was overrated. It's just too thick and sweet. It's talked about so much but not what I expected. Let's load it full of hops, make it super alcoholic, and make it sweet to help it even be drinkable. Then it ends up being so thick, it's like drinking syrup.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:51 AM   #104
orangeandblue302
Recipes 

if you are ever in Delaware go to Iron Hill.

<3

Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #105
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblue302 View Post
if you are ever in Delaware go to Iron Hill.
A friend brought me three 750 ml Iron Hills last weekend. The Dubbel, the Triple, and the 10th Anniversary. I found the Dubbel and the Triple both needed considerable more time in bottle. The Anniversary was perfect and very good with good balance between the malt and the alcohol bite.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #106
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

IMO the beer is great but a stupid rip off. You can pay what you want but why not make your own IPA???

The IPA is not a science...Its hops, malt, and more malt. More hops, more malt...Lots more hops.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #107
lasvegasculture
Recipes 

I have had singles on a few occasions, and bought a case a year ago for $125 and have 1 bottle left...I liked it alot, over the top hops, malt taste. except that it tasted a bit soapy. Too many bittering hops, or boiled too long, i think. It is an extreme beer tho, even if you don't like it, you gotta try it once.

would definitely buy it again. tho, i had to get on a waiting list with the master distributor in my area for 3 months to get my case

Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #108
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
IMO the beer is great but a stupid rip off. You can pay what you want but why not make your own IPA???

The IPA is not a science...Its hops, malt, and more malt. More hops, more malt...Lots more hops.
Most people dont have the capacity to mash enough grain to make a beer that is 20+% alcohol. There is a considerable amount of tinkering that goes with making a beer that extreme. The average homebrewer probably doesnt have the capabilities.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #109
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
Most people dont have the capacity to mash enough grain to make a beer that is 20+% alcohol. There is a considerable amount of tinkering that goes with making a beer that extreme. The average homebrewer probably doesnt have the capabilities.
What yeast would you even have to use to handle that alcohol content? Do you think they get the 20% with just malt, or add some simple sugars for the yeast to feast on. I didn't think the 120 minute tasted malty enough for it to be done with all malt, but then again, my taste buds were getting attacked with hops.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #110
jvetter
Recipes 

I'm sure that its not done with all malt. Some amount of simple sugar is most likely used whether its candy sugar, dextrose, or invert sugar your guess is as good as mine.

The yeast that most people in the homebrewing community are using for this is the White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast (WLP099). White labs which reports this yeast can handle up to 25% ABV. Getting a super attenuative yeast isn't that hard, its finding one that is super alcohol tolerant thats hard. You could use Champagne yeast, but even that has a much lower tolerance than the WLP099.

I'm doing a clone the 120 tomorrow (Feb 7). The details of this brew are here.

Keg1: Belgian IPA
Keg2: Wee Heavy
Keg3: Vienna Lager
Secondary: Rye Wine, Gluten Free Saison
Aging: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout w/ Brett, 2009 Lambic, Kriek, Framboise, 2010 Lambic, 2011 Lambic

Quick Reply