Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I've bled for this hobby!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #21
Hannable1975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Glad to know that you are OK, and ( relatively ) unharmed. YEARS ago, I had a glass carboy I used as a chage jar. My oldest son was jsut a kid and managed to explode the daggone thing when he hit it with a stuffed bear ( it had glass button "eyes" ). He was not hurt btw. But since gtting into this stuff, I have steered clear - I use buckets, and have some water cooler bottles i will use to fine for a few days before bottling.

I am thinking about a Better Bottle, simply out of curiosity of watching a brew ferment out. I'd almost rather borrow one for a single batch - but do not know any local brewers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #22
vicratlhead51
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerotBrewer View Post
Glad you weren't hurt too badly.

However, this thread is worthless without pics. ;-)
Ask and you shall recieve. Although it's not nearly as impressive now after being stitched up.
[IMG="http://img207.imageshack.us/i/dscn1025c.jpg/"]
[IMG="http://img197.imageshack.us/i/dscn1023rq.jpg/"]

Old 10-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
Msbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Was going to get a glass carboy but after reading this thread changed my mind. Going to get one of these.

http://www.better-bottle.com/

Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
I use carboy handles to carry bottles all the time. Where does it say you can't use them for carrying? It also gives you a little extra grip when cleaning them out.
You can carry EMPTY ones with them, but it says right in the product description (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...oy-handle.html) that if your carboy is full, the handle is just an "assist", and it must be supported from the bottom... a la Brew Hauler or milk crates. You should NEVER carry a full carboy using just the handle, they are not designed to be "load-bearing"... plus, that's just bad physics... why on earth would you carry a 50+ pound full carboy using just the handle, and focus all that weight on the weakest part (neck)?

Sorry about your injury man... I can understand if it keeps you from using glass again. I think glass is awesome, and have found that simple precautions such as wearing dishwashing gloves for gripping power, or never grabbing a carboy that still has wet StarSan on the outside, go a long way. I've never even come close to a "FAIL" using glass... I think people just need to be a bit more careful.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #25
vicratlhead51
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInternet View Post
You can carry EMPTY ones with them, but it says right in the product description (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...oy-handle.html) that if your carboy is full, the handle is just an "assist", and it must be supported from the bottom... a la Brew Hauler or milk crates. You should NEVER carry a full carboy using just the handle, they are not designed to be "load-bearing"... plus, that's just bad physics... why on earth would you carry a 50+ pound full carboy using just the handle, and focus all that weight on the weakest part (neck)?

Sorry about your injury man... I can understand if it keeps you from using glass again. I think glass is awesome, and have found that simple precautions such as wearing dishwashing gloves for gripping power, or never grabbing a carboy that still has wet StarSan on the outside, go a long way. I've never even come close to a "FAIL" using glass... I think people just need to be a bit more careful.
Yeah hadn't had a problem before, I think it was the muscle relaxers for the pulled muscle in my right shoulder. In retrospect I probably could have left it on the yeast longer, at least untill I'm fully functional.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #26
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicratlhead51 View Post
Yeah hadn't had a problem before, I think it was the muscle relaxers for the pulled muscle in my right shoulder. In retrospect I probably could have left it on the yeast longer, at least untill I'm fully functional.
Well, I haven't PERSONALLY tried "Relax, don't worry, have some prescription meds", but I'll try anything once.

Quick healing, man!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #27
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Edit: HOLY HUGE PICTURES
There you go.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Quick Reply