The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > It's summer vacation! what should I brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
ohad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default It's summer vacation! what should I brew?

although summer is the worst season to brew (especially in Israel, its HOT!) ,
it's the only time I'm not ultra busy. (I'm a student)

So...
I have about two months to brew supply for the upcoming year.
I'll might be able to make a few batches during the year, but this year I ran out, since I didn't plan well enough. I had to BUY beer !

there is no HBS that sells liquid yeast in Israel , so someone brought me two packs from the US : white labs 570 (belgian golden strong ale)
and wyeast ESB .

I think I'll make a bitter, and reuse the yeast for a strong IPA. (I ferment in a fridge)
I want to make a small batch to step up the 570 yeast for a Duvel clone , but I'm not sure what beer this should be. what beers will fit with this yeast around 5% ABV ?

Any other ideas what to do with these yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Kauai_Kahuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

First and foremost I would recommend looking at washing your yeast.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/
You should be able to make up around 3 bottles per initial batch and you can go a few generations that way. Should last you for the year.
I use plastic soda bottles well cleaned and sanitized, and add some cooled light wort before I fill up the bottles for storage in the fridge. All I do is take them out when I start brewing, and degass and shake during the 4+ hours and I have well aerated and healthy yeast to pitch.
As for what to brew, you have to plan for a whole school year so the question is what do you like.
In any case, have fun and good luck.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply