Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > It's so cute when SWMBO tries to do something nice, but...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
curt656
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default It's so cute when SWMBO tries to do something nice, but...

I think she should have asked first. I mean, I do appreciate the gesture but it turned out that I have to drink some rot gut beer to make her feel good.

The story:

Today SWMBO went to the grocery store down the street to buy a few odds and ends. She came back with a big smile on her face and told me she saw something on sale and picked some up for me. I went out to the car to help carry in the groceries and I saw them...2 six packs of Michelob Shock Top.

"They were on sale and I know how you love Belgian beer..."

I replied, "Oh, this isn't Belgian...it's Belgian style." As the smile went away from her face I added, "But I'm sure it's going to be good!"

Whew...good save. The smile came right back. I thanked her and gave her a big kiss while I cried inside. Now, I haven't tried Shock Top before, but I know what to expect being a BMC product combined with what I have read on this site about it. I decided I would keep an open mind and give it a try....

I nearly spit it out as soon as I took the first swallow. WHAT A BUNCH OF PISS! HOLY CRAP! Not only is it bad...it is awful. Those who have tried and reported on this site did not do enough to quantify just how bad this swill is. It tastes like salty club soda to me.

To make matters worse, I know exactly what she passed up to bring me twelve bottles of urine. I'm not saying that my local grocery store has a tremendous selection of beer, but they do have Leffe, Chimay, and a decent selection of imported lagers (which I do enjoy as session beers). I stocked up for Christmas already for crying out loud. All she has to do is look in my beer fridge at the bottles of La Chouffe, Delerium Tremens, Duvel, and Tripel Karmeliat to know that this purchase was unacceptable. Why did she have to pick Shock Top? Is she secretly trying to punish me? It's Christmas for crying out loud...How am I going to get rid of this crap and make her believe that I drank it?

Christmas has gotten off on the wrong foot that's for sure...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Nah it got off on the right foot. You just need to rethink it all. It's only beer, but SHMBO'ed is a wonderful woman. That is your Christmas present. You are a lucky man.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
GregR
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

just poor a few down the sink when she isn't looking and leave a bottle or two laying around so she can see that you "drank" it. then once it's gone say, "it was pretty good, not my favorite. . . dunno if I'd buy it again."

That's what Jamil said.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
bobthebiker
Recipes 

I dont really have a lot of experience with women, but my approach would be to carefully say, "Honey, I know you were thinking about me, and its the thought that counts the most, and I really appreciate it, but this stuff isnt something I like, but I tried it to see"

really anything you say could go and blow up in your face honestly, but hell if I honestly know.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebiker View Post
I dont really have a lot of experience with women, but my approach would be to carefully say, "Honey, I know you were thinking about me, and its the thought that counts the most, and I really appreciate it, but this stuff isnt something I like, but I tried it to see"

really anything you say could go and blow up in your face honestly, but hell if I honestly know.

You are a lucky man, your lady supports your habit. LOTS of women resent their SO's obsession as they feel it threatens them. Your lady, on the other hand, went out of her way to get a present that sends a message to you. I would say that what she did was a gesture from the heart AND she is paying some attention because she knows you like Belgians.

Now she missed the mark, no question, but this is one of those times where "it's the thought that counts". Not in the "my parents got me socks for Christmas kind of way, but in the true meaning.

Try a thought experiment. Lets say your lady is obsessed with shoes (imagine that) and you are the one guy in the world that supports her obsession. You pay attention and notice that she always gets blue shoes with heels. So you buy a pair. Us guys will never be able to buy shoes for a woman and she'll open it and (hopefully) say thank you but really she's thinking "doesn't he realize that this style makes me look fat."

She did a good thing. I'd say you got a keeper on your hands. Tell her it's not as good as some others but it's really different and you can appreciate the taste difference after trying it between traditional belgians and belgian styles.

Drink the beer.

BrewOnBoard

Old 12-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
bobthebiker
Recipes 

BrewOnBoard you pretty much got it right there. I like your subtlety, although its not my thing. I'm the kind of guy that just prefers to be brutally honest, even if it hurts, unless its someone who happens to be in a kitchen full of hot liquids on stoves and sharp pointy things all over the place.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
TerryWendel
Recipes 

Shock Top isn't that bad. Heck, I wouldn't say it's bad at all. It holds its ground.

Bottled: Scottish 60/, Aunt Gingers XMas Ale, No Play I.P.A.
Kegged: Still dreaming.

"I have a right to nothing which another has a right to take away." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

INvite some buddies over... say, "Hey, look what my wife got me for Christmas", and hand out the Shock Top. It gets consumed, you have to drink only a percentage of it... she's proud, that makes her happy.... and we know what that means!
But, consider yourself lucky...many a SWMBO hates her mates obsession and goes out of her way to be unsupportive.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 12-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shock Top to me isn't BAD, it just tastes like a light Belgian Wit that is fermented with lager yeast. Not something I would go out of my way to buy, but I would still drink it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

At least she bought you some beer. -Now gently educate her on which beer to buy...
If you blow it-you'll be buying your own beer from now on (unless you don't mind doing it yourself).

Classic example-About fifteen years ago, my wife caught me re-ironing a shirt (it was pretty wrinkled). Anyway that was the last time she ironed a shirt for me....

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Quick Reply