Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > It's slowly happening...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2306 Times on 2007 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I did about the same thing with my son. Sam adams,some of my Cooper's OS lager-based ales. Then some other pale ales. Then I sprung my IPA on him. He now is a craft beer freak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #32
hexXedBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb
I was a budlight only kinda guy forever. Couldn't even drink an amberbock!
My buddy decided to give me a beerducation.

He started me with Sam Adams noble pils. I drank it and said it was ok, I would force it down if someone gave it to me, but wouldn't buy it for myself.
He then gave me a smithwicks so I could taste malt. I drank maybe 3/4 before I couldn't drink anymore.
He then gave me a chimay I believe for a more balanced beer(I can't remember honestly) and I drank less than half.
He then gave me a stone ruination or IPA so I could taste hops. Needless to say I drank a few sips!
Then he immediately gave me another noble pils, and after all those hops, the noble pils tasted so smooth! I drank those the rest of the night.
The next day I tried a BL and it just tasted like water, I was ruined!!
I then drank a ton of harp and Boston lager as my go to beers while experimenting with all other kinds.
A few years later I am turning into a hop head and trying just about any craft beer I can get a hold of. Almost never drinking a macro beer now.

All the while turning my brother in law and other friends into craft/homebrew lovers too.
this is what beer is all about! what a good friend you have.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #33
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My old man's go-to beer was by and large MGD (also the first beer I drank, incidentally ). He may have had an amber or a sam adams, the occasional hefe (usually Blue Moon) and more or less didn't drink a wide variety of beer and stuck to cocktails, white russians to my recollection. My brother started into the homebrew before any of us and slowly but surely got the old man to come around. Now he is a complete hop and IPA FREAK and has abetter setup than either of us, never touching an MGD to my knowledge to this day unless it's really hot out and we're stranded in the desert (Lake Powell anyone?) but even then the three of us manage to bring a good amount of our personal brews to enjoy as well.

My eureka moment was when I was served one of my brothers Russian Imperials that was on draught and somewhere in the neighborhood of 14% in a nice brandy snifter. I had a head full of some other stuff (potent in the microgram range, *nudge nudge wink wink*) and the flavor absolutely penetrated my entire being as I savored every fantastic drop. GO figure.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexXedBrewing

this is what beer is all about! what a good friend you have.
Ya but I do curse him now and then, I can no longer get the cheap stuff or cheap pitchers! Haha! Oh well, guess it just means I have to brew more to offset the cost!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #35
hexXedBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb

Ya but I do curse him now and then, I can no longer get the cheap stuff or cheap pitchers! Haha! Oh well, guess it just means I have to brew more to offset the cost!
yup I'm all grain brewing now and it's much more cost effective now. although I do seem to happy hour a lot since there are too many good breweries to go to in San Diego.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #36
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexXedBrewing

yup I'm all grain brewing now and it's much more cost effective now. although I do seem to happy hour a lot since there are too many good breweries to go to in San Diego.
I'm hoping to get into BIAB in a few years to bring my cost down a little more. Gonna have to wait till kids get a little older and I have more free time.

Quick Reply