Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > It's slowly happening...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
TxAg97
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is a great thread. My wife will now try anything that I give her. And she really likes wits, hefes, & pale ales. And I make a honey blonde that she loves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Redbeard5289
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Four years ago, new neighbors moved in behind us and in gesture of being neighborly I offered him some Summit Pale Ale and some homebrew my brother had made as we sat around my backyard campfire. He was impressed by how great the beer was compared to his offering of Michelob Golden Light. About month later he bought his first Homebrew kit and together we made his first brew. 2 weeks later I dug out my old homebrew equipment, bought some new stuff and brewed up my first batch. The homebrew bug that bit my neighbor had reinfected me. About 1 year later, a new neighbor moved in across the street from me. This new neighbor came over as I was out in the garage brewing a batch if Pale Ale. After a few homebrews he told me he was a homebrewer back before his two kids came into the picture and was fascinated by my brewing process. About 3 weeks later, I glance up from my lawn mowing in the front yard and see this new neighbor brewing in his garage. The homebrew bug strikes again, reinfecting my new neighbor.
Another year passes and a new neighbor moves into the neighborhood. He comes over as my 2 homebrewing neighbors and I were sitting out in my garage drinking each other's homebrew and giving feedback. We pour him a glass of pale ale and IPA and he enjoys both beers and our company and homebrewing conversations. About a month later, the homebrew bug infects this new neighbor. There are now four of us in the neighborhood that actively homebrew. Two of us have moved to All-Grain brewing and 3 of us are now kegging. The four of us homebrewers have converted quite a few of our other neighbors into moving away from BMC type beers and into the craft beer world. Although they have yet to be bitten by the homebrewing bug they have made the switch to craft beer. Little steps...

Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Dang,I moved into the wrong place. Wish I had neighbors like yours!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
hexXedBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew
I live in a country where craft beer and homebrewers are not very popular, people don´t even have the smallest clue about beer... anything that differs from macro lagers its unknown. I have turn dozens of friends into craft beer and homebrewed beers. The person that amaze me the most was my wife´s grandmother, I gave her my DIPA and just the look on her face while she was trying it was priceless, I never tougth that she liked that, now I got to send her a few bottles time to time, she still haves macro lagers, but if there is something different she will put the macro lager aside and have a real beer... that old lady makes me happy...
hahaha that's awesome about your grandmother-in-law

Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #25
hexXedBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard5289
Four years ago, new neighbors moved in behind us and in gesture of being neighborly I offered him some Summit Pale Ale and some homebrew my brother had made as we sat around my backyard campfire. He was impressed by how great the beer was compared to his offering of Michelob Golden Light. About month later he bought his first Homebrew kit and together we made his first brew. 2 weeks later I dug out my old homebrew equipment, bought some new stuff and brewed up my first batch. The homebrew bug that bit my neighbor had reinfected me. About 1 year later, a new neighbor moved in across the street from me. This new neighbor came over as I was out in the garage brewing a batch if Pale Ale. After a few homebrews he told me he was a homebrewer back before his two kids came into the picture and was fascinated by my brewing process. About 3 weeks later, I glance up from my lawn mowing in the front yard and see this new neighbor brewing in his garage. The homebrew bug strikes again, reinfecting my new neighbor.
Another year passes and a new neighbor moves into the neighborhood. He comes over as my 2 homebrewing neighbors and I were sitting out in my garage drinking each other's homebrew and giving feedback. We pour him a glass of pale ale and IPA and he enjoys both beers and our company and homebrewing conversations. About a month later, the homebrew bug infects this new neighbor. There are now four of us in the neighborhood that actively homebrew. Two of us have moved to All-Grain brewing and 3 of us are now kegging. The four of us homebrewers have converted quite a few of our other neighbors into moving away from BMC type beers and into the craft beer world. Although they have yet to be bitten by the homebrewing bug they have made the switch to craft beer. Little steps...
seriously whereabouts do you live? that's awesome.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #26
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 53

2 of my neighbors tried to convince me I should sell my beer to them or brew them some, but won't do it themselves.
Another brewed a few times and has his stuff at someone else's house.
And the last 2 somewhat seemed to enjoy it, but are just BMC drinkers as everyone else seems to be.
I've certainly hoped for a few neighbors like that. Maybe I'll just have to look into the possibility of a local brew club.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #27
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

That's pretty cool Redbeard, practically a neighborhood homebrew club.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
Redbeard5289
Recipes 

Thanks guys, I pretty happy about the neighbors I got and the neighborhood my family and I live in. Its quite nice to have fellow homebrewers just a stones throw away that can lend a hand, borrow equipment from and offer valuable feedback. I think it definately helped with all of our brewing prowess.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Redbeard5289
Recipes 

There was talk of starting a neighborhood brew club but that has been put on the back burner til a later date due to one of us getting new hours/promotion at their job, another is doing a IT overhaul at his job and I am currently going back to school for my teaching degree.
And as our wives have pointed out its not like we need another reason to get together :-)

Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

I was a budlight only kinda guy forever. Couldn't even drink an amberbock!
My buddy decided to give me a beerducation.

He started me with Sam Adams noble pils. I drank it and said it was ok, I would force it down if someone gave it to me, but wouldn't buy it for myself.
He then gave me a smithwicks so I could taste malt. I drank maybe 3/4 before I couldn't drink anymore.
He then gave me a chimay I believe for a more balanced beer(I can't remember honestly) and I drank less than half.
He then gave me a stone ruination or IPA so I could taste hops. Needless to say I drank a few sips!
Then he immediately gave me another noble pils, and after all those hops, the noble pils tasted so smooth! I drank those the rest of the night.
The next day I tried a BL and it just tasted like water, I was ruined!!
I then drank a ton of harp and Boston lager as my go to beers while experimenting with all other kinds.
A few years later I am turning into a hop head and trying just about any craft beer I can get a hold of. Almost never drinking a macro beer now.

All the while turning my brother in law and other friends into craft/homebrew lovers too.

Quick Reply