New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Its a MONSTER MASH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Will be bottling mine tomorrow. Super pumped.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #32
dannyhawkins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah!

How does it taste?
I'm bulk aging 3+ gallons and I had another gallon for sampling and what not. We ended up freezing the extra gallon but have not yet siphoned off the super concentrated beer.

As for the flavor and strength, it is very malty on account of the all Munich grain bill but not too much so. I think the corn sugar helped dry it out and the WLP-007 helped get the gravity down to 1.026. The first taste seemed very bitter, then as I drank a few more sips the alcohol and malt really came through. I am very happy with this beer but I'll let it go a few months and bottle in spring. I have a lot of bottling backed up already. I'm still thinking of putting most in 12oz and a few in champagne bottles with some extra carb.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #33
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome man. Let me know how the freezing goes. Would live to try that at some point. Mine tastes quite bitter with a decent alcohol flavor. It actually went all the way down to 1.015. Quite surprised by that being that I only used Safale 05. Super pumped to try it in a couple weeks just as a preliminary tasting. I'm gonna just let it sit there until octoberish.

I've been brewing some weird stuff here and there. Ill save you a bottle from each batch and send them off with the monster mash. I have one fermenting right now that is a lime and basil hefeweizen. Tasted awesome from the hydro sample I drank. Hope things are well on your end.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #34
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

What up Danny. Popped one open last night. Quite strong. Sweet. Hoppy. Prominent alcohol flavor, but not enough to be unpleasant. Still wanna trade in a month or so?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #35
dannyhawkins
Recipes 

Good to hear it came out okay even though it was a less than ideal brew day. Mine is great too, I was worried it had too much alcohol burn but it came around and mellowed out as well. It's very syrupy and smooth for the strength of it. I did have a problem carbing and they are flat just cause I bulk aged it so long there was no healthy yeast left when I bottled. It still works well but I wish it would develop a little carb. I'm ready to trade soon just wanted to warn you about the carb thing. I've also just brewed a black IPA with Brett B trios so let's say trade in about 5-6 weeks if you're interested I'll send a few of those along too. It's not supposed to be real funky or sour when brewed w Brett only. Yeah this was a great idea and I'll be doing another one for sure this fall. Talk to you to get your info in a few weeks and if you don't care to try the Brett beer just let me know no big deal.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #36
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hell ya I'm going to do this again! I have built myself a keggle, so I am ready to boil the sheit out of it. A new recipe is in order though. I will still do a SMASH but I have a toss up of what I want to use. Maris Otter, EKGs, and probably use the White Labs Super High Gravity yeast is choice number one. Choice number two would be Belgian Pils, Hallertaur hops, and Wyeast Trappist high gravity yeast. Just to do it because I was unable to do it last year, I will be using 27 lbs of grain total; Toasting 2 lbs and 25 lbs of base.

I am totally down to trade. I wasn't able to brew too much a couple months ago, so my beer stash is low. The good news is that I have been brewing like a mad man as of lately. I might just wait to send it the first week of October so I can send you more. I have a Saison that I am about to bottle soon and I just brewed a Heather Ale for my girlfriends birthday yesterday, that has no hops. It has the tips of Heather flowers. Brewed it last year and loved it. I am also going to brew a bunch in the next month also.

Excited to do this again this year. Hopefully I won't be sick and have all the other crazy issues I had last time.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #37
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

What up homie? I almost forgot about trading some monster mash from last year. Can't believe its coming up on a year. Anyways...

Would you still want to trade? 6 pack? Only a couple? I also have some of my Haus Pale, a Saison, some cider, and that ale I did with heather flower tips instead of hops that I made. Let me know. Send me a PM if you are still down.

I'm also planning on doing this again but it's going to be Belgian this time. Talk to you soon.

Prost!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #38
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

And by the way, I'm drinking one right now and WOW has it changed. Not in a bad way, just less hoppy, obviously, and "older" tasting malt character. Next time, we should send some somewhat fresh and then again for the anniversary, to see how drastically it has changed.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #39
dannyhawkins
Recipes 

Yeah I'm ready to trade! Lets do a 6-pack your choice, just include 2 of those barleywines. I'm gonna hit you with 2 each- Bwine - Vienna lager - Brett B trois black IPA. Those are your only choices unfortunately I have let the pipeline slow to a crawl lately. I'll pm you my address and I'll be shipping the package in the first week of October or so. Yeah we will have to send some at 6 months and 1 year next time. I've actually got a gallon still aging with some Brett B that I'll bottle soon also. Well see how that goes. I'll send that at the next transaction.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #40
dannyhawkins
Recipes 

So I've been thinking about the second annual Monster Mash a lot lately. I have been considering a blonde barleywine this time around. I haven't decided on Pilsner or 2 row yet but I'm thinking if I go light, I should go all the way. (and don't worry about the sugar it's still a SMaSH if we all look past that)

Also I'm thinking of doing a single decoction to reach mash out, boil hard and hopefully add a bit of depth to the beer.

Medicmang I may take a page out of your book and try some home toasting as well.

Here is what I've got so far:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Graveyard SMaSH 2.0

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Barleywine
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 9 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.060
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.107
Final Gravity: 1.025
ABV (standard): 10.76%
IBU (tinseth): 114.38
SRM (daniels): 9.88

FERMENTABLES:
20 lb - American - Pilsner (90.9%)
2 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (9.1%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 59.15
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 37.53
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 17.71
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 149 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 27.5 qt, Infuse to hit strike temp
2) Decoction, Temp: 170 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 12 qt, Decoction to hit mash out
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.25 oz - Irish moss, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 F
Fermentation Temp: 70 F
Pitch Rate: 1.25 (M cells / ml / deg P)