Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Its a MONSTER MASH!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #21
dannyhawkins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ok I've got this all laid out.
I started WLP007 with 150 gr DME in 1.5 liters then stepped it up tonight to 3 liters.
21.5 pounds of light Munich in my 10 gallon Coleman cooler
Mash 1 hour at 150 and batch sparge
2oz. Cascade first wort hop
1oz. Cascade at 10
1oz. Cascade at 5
1oz. Cascade at 0
Target gravity is 1.101 cause it will be well after midnight when I'm done with this beer. Hope to hit something around 1.020

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Awesome man! I'm not needing to start until tomorrow morning. I'm going to toast 2 lbs of Vienna and let it cool. Then I'm going to mash the toasted Vienna and 25 lbs of regular Vienna at 154 for 90 min in my 70 qt Coleman xtrrme. I am going to draw a lot of wort off, probably about 10 gallons, and boil it until its down to 7 gal before I add my hops. Then I'm going to use 3 oz of northern brewer at 90, 1.5 of NB at 20, 1.5 of NB at 5, and another 1.5 at flameout. I'll let it steep for 20 min and then cool it. As for yeast, I'm going to try to use 2 packets of Safale 05 until fermentation slows then pitch the white labs super high gravity yeast. It's too bad I'm sick as a dog at the moment. I'd like to enjoy this experience tomorrow, but its going to be cold and rainy and I'm going to be coughing and sneezing. Hope your brew day goes well!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Welp. Im going to have to change it up a tiny bit due to lack of large equipment. My mash tun is fine but my kettle is only 7.5 gallons. I do have 2 larger pots that i was going to boil wort on the stove also, but i didnt even think about it, I cant heat up enough strike water to do 27 lbs. So i scaled it down to 24 lbs of vienna and just skipping the toasted malt. What a pain in the rump. Still sick, but excited to get started. Im even having to bring another container to go get the water, because ive never had to use more than 10 gallons. Blah. I need a new boil kettle. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #24
dannyhawkins
Recipes 

Hey medic sorry to hear about the last minute stuff. I've been brewing this beer over and over I'm my head cause I know I'll have problems too just can't think of them. I had a test today so I pushed the brew, it will be done tomorrow for sure and don't worry I will still dress spooky and play the theme song!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #25
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No apologies needed man. I know how that is. Hope the test went well. Are you planning on aging this for the year? I was going to age it till next Halloween. And where do you live? You want to trade a 6er or something? I live in Ohio.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
dannyhawkins
Recipes 

Ok so I hit a few bumps along the way as well. Mainly I did not hit my numbers. Ive been suspicious of getting a weak crush from the local and now I can confirm it. I estimated 65% efficiency to build this batch and I still came up short. my target gravity was 8 gallons @ 1.063 then boil to
5 gallons @ 1.101. I ended up with 8.5 gallons @ 1.040 this would only get me 5 gallons @ 1.068. So I added 4 lbs. of cornsugar and ended up with
S.G. of 1.117. During all of this I realized as my samples cooled the gravity would increase... I have heard about temp correction but I got a difference of 10 points! Anyway I need to take that into consideration thats prob why I ended up with a bigger beer in the end, that reading was taken right before pitching yeast. Other than that it went well.
I ended up doing an ounce of hops at 20 10 5 instead of 10 5 0.

Medic I think ill try to bulk age this a good 6 months then dry hop and bottle. Then I could age and sample from there. I would love to exchange products!
I live in Texas but I have no problem shipping you some. Would you want to do it in September/October so we will have them ready for the anniversary?
I guess we could just see how it goes. Like I said mine may be drinkable in 6 months but who can say for sure.
Im also thinking of doing a few in champagne bottles and supercarb them. If I age 6 months ill be adding yeast at bottling anyway. Maybe ill add priming sugar like usual and bottle regularly but add some carb drops to the champ bottles along with the primed beer...? I hope this beer turns out it has been consuming me since you started this thread.
keep me posted

P.S. what kind of efficiency did you get? What was your S.G.? I'm going for 12% if I get the full attenuation from my yeasts.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #27
dannyhawkins
Recipes 

image-1925860013.jpg

image-347006896.jpg

image-2016967587.jpg

image-2776130757.jpg

10 gallon pot was maxed out.

image-222839454.jpg

image-3283700059.jpg

Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #28
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ug. So I checked today to see if you had said anything and you hadn't. I was like, what the heck? Welp. Come to find out, my post hadn't sent from my phone. It was a pretty long post with pics as well. So blah. I'll type it up again and post it when I get home to my computer. Such a pain in the ass brew day, but its whatever. Hit you up soonish.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Worst brew day ever.

So ya. It all started with me forgetting to charge my batteries for my drill. So, I got to crush 24 lbs of vienna all by hand. My arm hurt. Then i was getting all of my equipment together and realized that my probe thermometer was only reading error messages. Threw it away. Had to break out my old thermometers and calibrate them. Done.

Finally got to heat my strike water. Had to use my boil kettle AND a pot on the stove to heat up 7.5 gallons of water. Mashed for 90 min. at 156. I wanted 152 but i couldn't get great readings from my thermometer anyways, so i said screw it.

First runnings looked nice. Pretty reddish color. I ended up sparging with about 5 more gallons to collect a little over 11 gallons. Big mistake. Couldn't boil enough off to use all of the wort. Ended up dumping the rest cuz i just didn't want to deal with it. ANYWAYS... I had to use my regular boil kettle and another large pot on the stove to boil my wort. I boiled for almost 2 hours. Hop additions at first wort hop, 90, 60, 20, 10, 5, and flameout all at 1.5 oz. except flameout which i did 2.5 oz., which i split between both kettles i was boiling with. Should be a hoppy beast. I even added 3 lbs of corn sugar at like 20. About that... my efficiency was sh1t. Even after boiling for so long, adding sugar, and mashing longer, I only hit 1.100. So pissed about this. I don't know what happened. Mashed too high maybe. I put about 6 gallons in my carboy with two packs of Safale-05. I don't know if I even want to add the super high gravity ale yeast that i bought. Don't know if I need it. Might just save it for something different. I'll make that decision when i take a gravity reading in a week or so.

So ya, a very frustrating day. I was even sick as a dog, sitting outside in the cold most of the day. Too funny. It was a good experience though. I need a bigger kettle for sure and need to be more prepared when i do this next year. I'm getting a thermopen on thursday which will be great. I'm still looking for a keg to cut up and make a keggle with. So both things will help next year. But ya, i would love to exchange. I'll hit you up at bottling and I'll send you some shipping info. I also want to try it before i send it, in case it tastes like absolute crap or something. Hope things are well on your end. Prost!

img_0308.jpg   img_0309.jpg   img_0312.jpg   img_0311.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #30
dannyhawkins
Recipes 

Yeah that sounds brutal. I just had problems with the efficiency, I knew big beers were less efficient but I got less than 50%. Oh we'll I'm not gonna complain.
Yeah let me know in a few months after bottling and sampling. I will do the same and let you know if mine is worth the shipping.

Quick Reply