Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > It's a good thing I don't brew to save money!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak View Post
All lot of the times when I tell people I brew, they ask me if I do it to save money. I just laugh and say no. And it's a good thing I don't, because I just added up all the receipts from Austin Homebrew, and I've spent $950 so far. Granted that it's worth every penny, I just can't believe I've spent that much so far.

I still havnt added up the cost of the keggorator or kegs, or the items I bought from Abilene's homebrew shop either.
I tell SWMBO that I am going to drink two or three beers a night. That makes for at least a 12 pack a week. If I was buying commercial then I would be spending $9 per sixer or $18 a week. Call it $20 for ease. That is $1,000 a year. So if instead I brew with that $1,000, then I am ahead because I can get five gallons for $20 when I keg. So technically, we are saving money...right...Bueller?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #22
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny_norman View Post
I have the disadvantage of being married to an accountant. $5,000 last year. I almost fell off my chair.
Copy that Ghostrider. I always have the problem with when I say that I am going to give beer and wine as a present that SWMBO thinks it is free and grows on trees and that we should really buy gifts. I tell her that it sure is free and that she better not complain then when she sees the bill for what it didn't "cost" to make it.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #23
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Two pints and lunch once a week == $1000/year.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #24
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

We aren't even talking about going out funds here either...don't get me started about how homebrewing costs a lot when a beer and a shot at a bar is going to run you $15.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
We aren't even talking about going out funds here either...don't get me started about how homebrewing costs a lot when a beer and a shot at a bar is going to run you $15.
Yeah, and thats for a "Pint" in a 13oz glass.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #26
carp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have to argue a bit. I got started on this adventure last July 2009 and have spent $2400 so far. For the 125 gallons I've made, I'm at $1.78 a bottle. I could make at least another 50 gallons with the ingredients I have in stock, bringing it down to $1.27 a bottle. I'll probably buy ingredients for and make another 100 gallons (on top of the 50) this year, and will be looking at a cost of $1 bottle. Plain old SNPA cost about the same by the keg, and I enjoy my beer much more than I do SNPA. The beer I would want to drink would cost more than that, up to $2 / bottle if buying it by the bottle.
Considering that the time spent brewing probably keeps me from spending time spending money, a creative cost accountant could probably show more savings

Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #27
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

carp-
Much like me, you seem to think your "next batch" will be cheap. Let me know when you get there!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #28
Ragutis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

With equipment and grain I'm at $1.24 per bottle now. Since I plan no major equipment changes that should drop this year.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #29
danculwell
Recipes 

Everytime SWMBO mentions how much I spend on beer and brewing I just bring up her 2 packs a day smoking habit. That usually ends that conversation.

6.5 Gal bucket Guiness Clone
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking:Mr Beer Wheat, Apfelwein, Graff, Grape, Lemonade, Raspberry, and Cherry Apfelwein, AHS Noble Pils (Ale)
On Deck:Who knows anymore

Old 02-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #30
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

i like to tell myself i facilitate the manufacture of beverages of an alcoholic nature to save my internal organs from the wrath of swill. as to saving money: i will spend dollar "x" anyhow, so why not enjoy what it buys me? like my nitro r/c, firearms, cars, motorcycles do? or i can waste it on say the lotto.

Quick Reply