Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > It's a good thing I don't brew to save money!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Grimster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
My swmbo just started tracking all our spending in quicken. I got find a way to get rid of the Beer Supplies section that she made.
Well if I BUY beer it's usually higher end stuff that runs $10-13 for a 4 or 6 pack, so 2.50 a bottle IS actually saving me money or "just about the same". I may never reach the level though where brewing is cheaper than say, buying Michelob Porter (that's about as low end as I'll drink before I say screw that and buy a bottle of coke and a fifth of Jim Beam).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
metaltim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got an excel spreadsheet with everything I've bought, broken down into ingredients, equipment, and consumables. I'm up to about $900, that's for 10 batches of beer, so ~50 beers per batch, that's about $1.80 a bottle, $10.80 a six pack, which isn't really to much more than a good craft sixer.

Plus, i'm good on equipment for a good while, so after another 6-8 batches, my price will drop down to $1 and change per beer, which is pretty competitive even for macro brew (six pack prices)

Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I still plan to drink commerical cause there are beers I like so I'll keep them around. Also I'm in to Higher ABV so I'm not that good at brewing to get into rasing the ABV. I buy a lot of wine and liquior. ---I think really I wanted to get into this to do spend more time with something I already loved which was beer and drinking....I spend 3 to 4 hours on brew day drinking and doing my thing....I also grill for the SWMBO in the process so it's a win win win.... I have not saved a dime in cost yet. I not sure if I ever will really well depends on if I start making Bailey's since I read about it last night. Cause we go thru that like water if I have it...........

Really it's the process and people you meet that make brewing amazing........

My beer is like my baby I wrap it up at night to make sure it doesn't get too cold and check it daily to make sure temp and fermenting is going well....I'm thinking about setting up a web cam cause I miss my fermenters while I'm at work.....Right now I have a small electric heater set on very low to keep it warm since temps are good to me at night in my man cave...........Yes if the SWMBO knew how I truely felt about my Beer, I'd have to get a divorce.......

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Gah, I'm probably in for around $1300 all told, and have made about 20-25 batches. $1.08-$1.35 per bottle ain't bad at all.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4739 Times on 4377 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
My swmbo just started tracking all our spending in quicken. I got find a way to get rid of the Beer Supplies section that she made.
Control Panel, Programs, Remove Quicken

Old 02-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #16
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Ok, I've always been curious as to how much my per 12oz costs are, but never really had the time to sit down and add it up.

I put together a very rough spreadsheet that is likely missing many items (clamps, tubing, fittings that I don't have a good track of), and doesn't include consumables related to the brewing process. Sometime I'll have to add together the per-brew-session cost of sanitizer, water, propane, electricity to the spreadsheet too.

...but until then, at my current estimate, I've spent approximately $3.49 per bottle of beer (or equivalent 12oz servings in kegs) for my homebrewing habit, before accounting for the actual cost of ingredients. IIRC, in my first few extract batches, it was higher since I was paying $5.00/lb DME and $3.00/oz for hops, and my yeast cost was high since I had nothing washed/built up yet, plus it was for smaller batches.

Anyway, surprise! I'm into this $1500+ already and I only own two pieces of stainless steel equipment: a racking cane and false bottom for the MLT. I guess I expected that I wouldn't hit this level of "investment" until I brought a Blichmann home.

My Brew-costs spreadsheet

I'll see if I can keep my spreadsheet updated and visible to all in case it helps them to justify their brewing costs to SWMBO (or your loan officer!). At this point I'm satisfied that I can brew good quality beer with my 2x carboys, so I don't think I'll be hitting the stainless conicals for a long while. I want this per/bottle cost to drop so I can take advantage of this "cheap all-grain brewing" thing I keep hearing about . My last AG batch with bulk hops and bulk 2-row came out around $.50 per 12oz serving, including new yeast that I've washed and saved for future brews to further reduce costs.

Last edited by nebben; 02-18-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #17
Grimster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
"it musta been some kinda virus!" I've used that one before.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Then I would have to "fix" her computer and setup quicken all over again.

I think if she complains I will just ask her to lookup how much she spent on clothes and everything will be ok

Old 02-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
spiny_norman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the disadvantage of being married to an accountant. $5,000 last year. I almost fell off my chair.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
DilvishTheDamned
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Then I would have to "fix" her computer and setup quicken all over again.

I think if she complains I will just ask her to lookup how much she spent on clothes and everything will be ok
I think you'd be better off manning up and telling her what you're spending.

Quick Reply