Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > It's Farmer's Market season again...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
ShermantheTank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default It's Farmer's Market season again...

...and my hopes of making a hard cider with FM apples have already been crushed. I've seen threads talking about pressing/etc, and I'm going to take a guess that this simply isn't possible for me at this moment in time.

With that said, I still want to use fresh apples in some kind of beer. Anyone have any recipes/directions on how I could make this happen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Our farmer's market is part of a big local flea market-Jamie's Flea Market on rt113 in Amherst. It's kitty corner across from Lorain County Speedway. good location. I was hoping to find more cast iron cookware for the bbq pit,not to mention anything I can find in the way of brew hardware,glasses,etc. But,anyway,they have fresh fruits,veggies,greens,baked goods,etc. I may try something for summer myself with their wares.
But when I was making wine decades ago,I made an rather unique apple jack with a simple process,cloudy,un-pasteurized apple cider,2 kinds of sugar,& brewer's yeast. Took a year minimum before it was ready. Asti's got nuthin on me with that recipe...

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I juiced 5+ gallons apple juice (with a counter top fruit and vegetable juicer) two years ago when we had way too many apples to consume. It was a BIG project, even got 4 stitches from paring them in quarters. This year's crop is looking good again, so I will be making a crusher and press DIY. I had no regrets on the first batch, it turned out a fine, dry, apple campaign.

I have since done four other, five gallon batches from raw, organic, store bought, juice ($5 per gallon when on-sale). They turned out great too, but lacked that extra special something that can only be had by going the long road...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Can't argue with fresh,no. But,when I came up with the recipe I used,we didn't have juicers. Not to mention,the recipe for what apples the cider man used. And I didn't think a grape press would work.?...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

None of this stuff I've posted over the years is feasible for you to do? There's all sorts of cheap and easy DIY's here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
You might find this info i posted on an old thread helpful. (look at the videos at the bottom for the garbage disposal apple shreader.

Quote:

How to Build a Cider Press

You can also make one out of an old Maytag washer evidently. (this article is awesome, especially if you are going to consistantly be doing large batches...)

THE MAYTAG CIDER PRESS

I can't show you, you have to be a Craft Subscriber to view the online edition, but they recommend a 30 dollar home depot garbage disposal mounted on a frame and emptying into a bucket to shred the apples prior to juicing and pressing, for those of you who don't have a free juicer...
like this...

YouTube - Garbage Disposal Apple Grinder (Crusher)

YouTube - Seneca Falls Apple Grinders batch 5

This is cool too. But more work than a garbage disposal.

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/press/apple_grinder.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Check your LHB store. I know of at least on near me that has a press you can rent. I think you can press in house too.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Cool stuff. To bad we didn't have the internet in the 70's we have now. Not to mention,all I had was a sears video arcade that you could attach a key board to with a card. Might be worth a go for someone who does it a lot.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I usually see it for sale at the FM during the fall. Juicers work in a pinch, but it's a slow process.

Quick Reply