It's a class 3 felony to homebrew in the town I live in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The girls voices remind me of that valley girl thing white chicks did out there. The mexican chicitas tryin to be white & mexican at the same time. Really cute. Looked down on me back then like I was an interloper or somethin. Interesting that we happen to dress like the studio people did to go incognito back then. Got treated really good at the shops with both of us caryin some 2,500 each. Def a cultural adventure...:D

Interesting viewpoints in this thread.

I would have to agree with those who said to take the addiction problem seriously, and follow the law. I think it's wise of you to hold off on brewing up there. You don't want a felony on your record.

Alcohol can really mess up lives. The laws may not be "the" answer, but they're an attempt to keep things under control, or punish those who are out of control. One can take the stance of it being a "nanny state" and telling people how to live their lives, but an addict does not have control over their own lives anymore, and they're a massive problem for a community in many ways - theft, destruction of property, health costs, etc.

I hope you can see past this issue with living where you do, and instead focus on the positives of why you're there. Alcohol isn't that important in life, all things considered, is it? Perhaps it's time to make sure you put things into perspective yourself a little? I say that with honest sincerity.

Take care up there.

R&r goes for 300 a bottle in some towns up here. Boxed wine is 150 a box. I say start a smuggling vusiness and get rich lol

Just kidding.

I love generalizations. We are Yankees, as opposed to Damn Yankees*, and have been travelling to Mississippi since the 1970s at intervals to visit relatives. Our Mississippi must be in an alternate universe, because I have noted none of the things you mention. But if you're really interested in stereotyping, get me started on Texas.

*A Yankee is a northerner who comes to visit, a Damn Yankee comes to stay and live there.

I find your comment humorously uninformed, my friend. When you come to visit, you must be in a bit of a bubble. The things that I stated aren't stereotypes, they're just observations that I've gathered seeing as I'm originally from Mississippi (Clinton, a small town 30 minutes from Jackson and I went to college in Hattiesburg). What else I found amusing was that you hinted that you thought Texas was worse. I now live in Texas and it is 10x more refined than Mississippi.

If you don't like slim pickins move to Mississippi. Every girl you meet is a total slut, some of them are pretty hot too.... until you get hitched and then they turn into giant balls of lard. There are a bunch of dry/moist counties just like in Alaska though... Now that I think about it, maybe you shouldn't go to Mississippi

You should see the sluts in Georgia...

I think that's the first time I've ever heard somebody suggest going to Mississippi for anything but to see how dirty the gulf can be or how bad a road can get.
Bad roads??? Hah.....take a cruise through the Detroit area ;) I got outa there while the gettin' was good....and yeah, now I'm a damn Yankee, living a lil south of Knoxville TN:mug:

Interesting viewpoints in this thread.

I would have to agree with those who said to take the addiction problem seriously, and follow the law. I think it's wise of you to hold off on brewing up there. You don't want a felony on your record.

Alcohol can really mess up lives. The laws may not be "the" answer, but they're an attempt to keep things under control, or punish those who are out of control. One can take the stance of it being a "nanny state" and telling people how to live their lives, but an addict does not have control over their own lives anymore, and they're a massive problem for a community in many ways - theft, destruction of property, health costs, etc.

I hope you can see past this issue with living where you do, and instead focus on the positives of why you're there. Alcohol isn't that important in life, all things considered, is it? Perhaps it's time to make sure you put things into perspective yourself a little? I say that with honest sincerity.

Take care up there.

I agree that alcohol can really mess up lives, I've already seen the affects of it on many of the people up here in the short time I've been here. I don't necessarily agree with how they are trying to deal with the problem, but my opinion doesn't really matter. They know it's a huge issue, but yet they are choosing to profit off of it, really profit. My purpose for the original post was really just to explain the situation and maybe to vent a little. I wasn't trying to give the impression that alcohol is the only thing I care about, it's not. I really just wanted to discuss it with other people I knew would understand. I'm relatively new to the hobby (about a year and a half of brewing), and in that time I grew to love it and got very carried away with it like most people do. Now that I'm in a position of not being able to do it, I realize how much I enjoyed it. I still have all of my equipment back home, and even some beer aging while I'm gone, so I am no way done homebrewing.

You're definitely right about the perspective thing. I certainly have a new appreciation for a lot of things that I took for granted back home. For example, I don't have a vehicle up here so I walk to work every day. It doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize that it will be -20° or colder for the next 5 months. A mile in those temperatures seems very far, especially when it's dark. It would have cost $4500 to have my truck shipped here so that wasn't an option. Not to mention gas is $7.99 a gallon, which is cheaper than a $10 gallon of milk. There's really only one small grocery store in town so they can charge whatever they want. The prices are what they are because everything has to be flown in. So I am definitely gaining a new perspective and appreciation for a lot.

Thank you for your response and your sincerity.

Bad roads??? Hah.....take a cruise through the Detroit area ;) I got outa there while the gettin' was good....and yeah, now I'm a damn Yankee, living a lil south of Knoxville TN:mug:

If you don't mind my asking, where south of Knoxville? I've got family around Maryville so I'm kinda familiar with the area.

Back