Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Issues with bottle conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
Nike_Eayrs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Issues with bottle conditioning

In the past I have had issues with bottle conditioning. As the beer matured it became over carbed. There were a couple batches that were almost impossible to pour into a glass. With the most recent recipe I scaled back to 1/2 cup table sugar to prime a 5.5 gallon batch. It took longer to carb, but eventually the same issue arose. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How long are you letting the beers stay in primary? What yeast are you using? Are you 100% sure of the volume going to bottles? Have you tried one of the calculation sites/tools for getting how much sugar (by WEIGHT) to use? Volume measure is not the better/good way to measure the sugar. Weight is the only accurate method of measure. How long are you letting the bottles chill, in the fridge, before you to go pour one to glass?

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Are you taking an original gravity and final gravity reading (to be sure your beer is done fermenting)?
How long are you allowing your beer to ferment before bottling?
Northern Brewer has a calculator to help you with how much sugar to put in,
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
but if your beer isn't finished fermenting before you bottle it, you'll definitely be over-carbed.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
BobBailey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First, you must be sure that fermentation is complete. After that, another week or two for the yeasts to absorb their by-prodcts never hurts. Next, you need to be sure of the volume and temperature of your beer at bottling time and use a carbonation calculator and then weigh your priming sugar.
Brewing isn't as simple as some make it sound. Decent beer comes with practice. Good beer comes with practice and patience. Great beer comes with practice, patience, understanding your past mistakes and reading/listening to the wisdom of many others.
This is a great hobby that will pay great dividends, but, as with many other things in life, you'll only get out of it what you are willing to put into it.

Bob

Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Animalmutha
Recipes 

If you are not already - rack to a secondary and wait for the gravity to not change for 3-5 days before bottling?
Might want to check and see what the avg attenuation of your yeast strain is and find out what the attenuation of your batch is to see if you are landing in-range. This is not the best way to tell, but if all of your batches are coming in too low it may be an indication you are not waiting long enough.
or

Without priming, take a gravity reading, bottle a couple-few bottles and wait for two-three weeks to see if they carb up. If they do then the weeks that you waited will have been enough time for you to have checked for gravity changes in the main batch. This will tell you if you have waited long enough. The extra couple weeks should not hurt provided you rack to a secondary.
If that doesn't work maybe you could try 4-5 carb tablets in a couple bottles (put un-primed beer in these bottles). With these it is very hard to over carb if you follow the directions. You might get some floaties from the tabs, but it is only a couple bottles.
If you are using enzymes use them before the boil.

That's all I got for the supplied info. Hope this helps

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
AjhW
Recipes 

I am new to brewing, but have brewed about 10 batches of beer from pales to porters and bottled them all. For every batch I have used 2/3 cup of corn surgar and have not had a problem with any of them.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

With all the beer I have made, there seems to be a 2-3 week period where it is perfect. After that, it is way over carbed. I take gravity readings before and after to make sure beer is done fermenting. The yeast I use primarily is wyeast 1056, or white labs san diego super strain. I have let batches sit from 12-15 days to 5 weeks, and the problem seems to remain the same. I have set them in the fridge for a day to a week, and the problem remains the same. I am going to buy a scale to accurately measure the amount of sugar I put in, and see if that makes a difference. Would using corn sugar instead of table sugar make a difference? Would cold crashing help? Thanks for all the help!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Eayrs View Post
With all the beer I have made, there seems to be a 2-3 week period where it is perfect. After that, it is way over carbed. I take gravity readings before and after to make sure beer is done fermenting. The yeast I use primarily is wyeast 1056, or white labs san diego super strain. I have let batches sit from 12-15 days to 5 weeks, and the problem seems to remain the same. I have set them in the fridge for a day to a week, and the problem remains the same. I am going to buy a scale to accurately measure the amount of sugar I put in, and see if that makes a difference. Would using corn sugar instead of table sugar make a difference? Would cold crashing help? Thanks for all the help!
Weigh the sugar and aim for the middle of the style range. I would also use the temperature of the beer where it is at bottling. You can always tweak the numbers if you're getting too little carbonation. IMO, having a bit less is far better than have too much.

Of course, I really don't worry about these things anymore.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalmutha View Post
If you are not already - rack to a secondary and wait for the gravity to not change for 3-5 days before bottling?
Might want to check and see what the avg attenuation of your yeast strain is and find out what the attenuation of your batch is to see if you are landing in-range. This is not the best way to tell, but if all of your batches are coming in too low it may be an indication you are not waiting long enough.
or

Without priming, take a gravity reading, bottle a couple-few bottles and wait for two-three weeks to see if they carb up. If they do then the weeks that you waited will have been enough time for you to have checked for gravity changes in the main batch. This will tell you if you have waited long enough. The extra couple weeks should not hurt provided you rack to a secondary.
If that doesn't work maybe you could try 4-5 carb tablets in a couple bottles (put un-primed beer in these bottles). With these it is very hard to over carb if you follow the directions. You might get some floaties from the tabs, but it is only a couple bottles.
If you are using enzymes use them before the boil.

That's all I got for the supplied info. Hope this helps
I currently don't rack to a secondary. I have read some swear by it, and others state it is not necessary. Would moving to a secondary potentially help the issue? Thanks!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Eayrs View Post
Would using corn sugar instead of table sugar make a difference?
I don't think so, other than the amounts are slightly different for the desired carbonation level, requiring slightly more corn sugar than table sugar to achieve the same, about +5%, I think.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Quick Reply