Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Irish Stout issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
elonsdale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Irish Stout issues?

Hey guys!

Newb here. This is my first batch so I'm extra anxious.

To start off, I'll just say I thought I cleaned and sanitized everything correctly. I used star-san on everything, etc. (I think) I also followed the Brewers Best Irish Stout ingredient kit well.

OK, so here's my problem. Pictures are attached. Picture 1 is right after it was put in the 6.5 gallon carboy. There was 5 gallons total in there. Picture 2 is about 24 hours later. Picture 3 is about 12 hours later. Pictures 4 and 5 are about an hour after that. If you can't tell, pictures 4 and 5, the carboy is completely full.

It seems like the fermentation is going crazy fast. I was worried the carboy would/will explode. The cap popped off so I rinsed it off, sanitized it and put it back on.

Should I be worried?

Thanks!

beer1.jpg   beer2.jpg   beer3.jpg   beer4.jpg   beer5.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
captwalt
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 26

looks fine to me. Let it go. When the foam subsides put the air lock back on and let it sit for a bit.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
elonsdale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captwalt
looks fine to me. Let it go. When the foam subsides put the air lock back on and let it sit for a bit.
Thanks for responding! I think/hope everything is under control now. It's calmed down. I just had a minor freak out. Whoops!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You should use a blow off tube...search for it...lots of threads about one.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 138

The stopper will pop out long before the carboy explodes. Look into rigging a blowoff tube for the next time. "Out of control" fermentations that lead to blowoffs can happen for many reasons: high OG, too little headspace, too high of a fermentation temperature, and finally some strains of yeast just go nuts. I've found that for the most part, fermenting on the cooler side keeps blowoffs under control. Nevertheless I use a blowoff tube on pretty much every batch.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I miss the days when I used to freak out too! The co2 will continue to push out anything that might have gotten in there and by now the PH is probably somewhere around 4.5 or lower so there's little chance that anything will be growing in there if anything did get in there, which is highly doubtful. Just continue on with the plan and everything should be great. Also, if your starting gravity was 1.050 or higher, I'd let that stout sit for at least a month in the bottle or keg before you try your first one. You'll be happy you did, these things are so much better at a month after packaging than they are at 2 weeks trust me.

Quick Reply