Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPL? (India Pale Lager)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Funny this just crossed my mind the other day when I was trying to figure out my next batches. I may want to give the IPL a try!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

I don't know where you guys get this stuff,but I've absolutely never seen or heard of a single one. Especially the Sam Adam's we only get literally a few of them anywhere around here,& every place seems to get the exact same things. WTGDF????? Some of the other SA's look pretty good. Didn't even know about till now. This distributor needs a colossal ass kickn!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

There's a world of difference between an IPA wort fermented with lager yeast (Lagunitas Zephyr) and a "light clean hoppy lager" made with noble hops and zero or minimal crystal malt (Coney Island Sword Swallower). The former is weird, the latter is sublime.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try a Coney Island Human Blockhead. Its a Imperial IPL @ 10% ABV with 7 different hops. I like it

Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

wouldn't the lagering process cause a loss of much of the hop aroma? I guess I see several cons(all the extra time, yeast, temp control of lagering) but I don't see the upside.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brooklyn Lager has a really good hop character. Definitely not and IPA but it's a good example of a hoppy lager. Haven't had it in a while but that's how I remember it.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I just watched the 2 videos of SA's infinium. Holy cow,a champagne beer style? With help in the learning process of over 2 years to figure out how to make it from weinhestephan in Germany. After seeing it poured & described,it gives me new insights. It's bottle conditioned with a second yeast type as well. And some of the other "extreme beers" they have in those black bottles like the Spanish champagne I've gotten around here in the wooden case with 2 tulip glasses. Freiksne,or something like that. So many beers from commonly known companies I never get to see.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Ballast Point has had an IPL forever, called Fathom. It is fantastic. I have the grain bill:

Fathom IPL 7.5%
IBU 70

2 row 600
Flaked oats 50
Munich10 50
60L 50
Pilsner 550
Flaked barley 100

In lbs I think.

Cheers

Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

You know,between the time I 1st posted in this thread till now,I have been shocked, angered, amazed,& humbled. Thanks for providing that link to Sam Adam's site. I'm feeling revitalized by this thread & that link! I haven't felt like this since we tasted my 1st brew together! I have to thank you all for this feeling,honestly. Wow! Makes me feel better about What I considered going out on a limb trying to reproduce a famous ale from Victorian times With modern extracts vs the original in AG. I only wanted to give the extract brewers something cool to try from history that has been lost on the modern world. I seem to have a knack for thinking outside the box to to reproduce modern takes on some old beers. Seeing them with different eyes than the math minded,or science minded types. Although there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe a new insight was needed? Or am I just jerking off? (lolz,preacher in Blazing Saddles)...

Old 11-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
Try a Coney Island Human Blockhead. Its a Imperial IPL @ 10% ABV with 7 different hops. I like it
I 1wouldn't call that an "IPL." The label calls it "Imperial American Bock." I guess I'd agree with them or just say it is a Barleywine. ....but anyway, it is DAMN sure a great beer, i don't care what you call it! I wanna clone this one

Human Blockhead is really fantastic

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Quick Reply