Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA's not within BJCP style guidelines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #31
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
How would you do this? I made a really hoppy American amber a month ago and what I learned is that crystal malt doesn't really create sweetness per se, lowering the IBUs does. You can't just use a bunch of crystal or vienna/munich. Not only that, but dumping in those malts is going to make the beer too syrupy.

I suppose you could use a less attenuative yeast. But the human tongue can for sure taste the difference between a 70 IBU and a 100 IBU beer. 5-10 IBUs, sure, but 30 is going to be pretty apparent.

If I were a judge I would ding a 100 IBU American IPA for lack of balance. While I don't doubt that some people genuinely enjoy imbalanced bitter beers, they aren't in the majority.
An example would be I like to First Wort Hop all of my IPA's. On paper it increases the bitterness but to my palate, and others, it tastes less bitter because the bitterness is smoother. I know some people even calculate the FWH IBU addition as a 20 minute addition. Someone else was talking about Pliny or other well made Imperial IPA's.....on paper the IBU's are through the roof. I have had traditional IPA's that tastes much more bitter than Pliny though they are only 70 IBU's. A big part of that is ingredients...specifically what hops are you using and when they are used.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #32
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
I think Phundog summed it up pretty well. Think Pliny, on paper it's like 285 IBU or some insane number like that, tested it's near 100 (?). It's hoppy as $hit, like biting a hop, but is it bitter? Not overly so. More like a mild bitterness that comes from loads and loads of flavoring hops. I almost always over shoot IBU on my IPA according to the BJCP, but I get the majority of those IBU from flavor addition, not the bittering shot. In fact, I've even done a few with no "bittering" addition, all flavor/aroma but with alot of IBU from those adds. The perception is not of a bitter beer, but of lots of hops flavor and aroma. On paper, those beers aren't "to style", but to the drinker, they are. BJCP judges are drinkers.
Pliny is a double IPA, though. Also, it's considerably more bitter than an IPA.

A Pliny clone entered in 14 B isn't to style. I don't think it's a question of theory vs. practice, you can tell the difference between a 70 and 100 IBU beer.

If judges are scoring double IPAs entered in 14 B higher than well-brewed IPAs that are actually to style, that's not good. There's a category for them; Imperial IPA.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #33
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Pliny is a double IPA, though. Also, it's considerably more bitter than an IPA.
You're right. I still say it doesn't come across as a terribly bitter beer, but a DIPA it is.

Quote:
If judges are scoring double IPAs entered in 14 B higher than well-brewed IPAs that are actually to style, that's not good. There's a category for them; Imperial IPA.
I agree, but the lines are blurred. A single beer can be "to style" in both categories.

I think this all is just one of the many reasons that I love IPA/IIPA/IIIPA/DIPA so much. Not only is it tasty, but it spawns discussions like this, or entire books for that matter. I'm drinking a St. Peter's IPA (English IPA), very solid beer, and to style. The English struggle with keeping this style "to Style" as much as we do, more so, but for very different reasons

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply