Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA's not within BJCP style guidelines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6329 Times on 5485 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
West coast ipas are about flavor not just high ibu - most fall just fine within guidelines
Yeah, if the bitterness is way off balanced, it is out of style.

You can't just throw in "moar hops" and call it a good IPA/IIPA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
WhiskeySam
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The desire to have greater and greater IBU beers with a 2-row and crystal malt base does strike me as a competition to see who can eat the hottest pepper.

In the Keg (1) -- Stout
In the Keg (2) -- IPA

Up Next -- Marzen

Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
theblaster
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
I've never really liked delimiting East/West Coast anything. I understand the generalization, but using terms like that really does reveal a persons limited exposure to beers on a national level (in regards to the U.S.)
I'm pretty sure it isn't a regional pride thing. The term comes from the idea that the style was created on the west coast. It could be just as easily called CalIPA or San Diego Style. It's just a moniker that tells a consumer what they are getting. If you buy something called a West Coast IPA you pretty much know what that is, just like getting an English IPA. Or a Belgian IPA. I've had em from all over the country and all over Britain and the rule pretty much holds true.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
red131
Recipes 

To help clear things up, these contestants are entering 5% to 7% ABV beers with 100+ IBU in the American IPA (14B) rather than the Imperial or specialty category simply because they don't quite add up to the imperial status. Because they tasted so good, judges were looking the other way.

In my original post, I had said 14C which caused confusion down the rest of the thread. I meant 12B (I have corrected this in the original thread)

Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 75

It boils down to Guide Lines or General Rules that a group of people made up to define categories of beer. There is a constant change going on in beer and what the guide lines are now will have to be adjusted or BJCP should have a category for Traditional styles and then the "Ish" catagories. IPA is the perfect example White, Black, Imperial, Brown, or original. Rules for food and beer where ment to be tweaked and made better for your taste. Come on it is BEER!!!!!!!! Relax and Have one or five and enjoy it. But if it is a compatition there should be adjustments made for new changes in the beer world cause to judge new styles according to old standards is like wareing your great grandparents clothes they won't fit.

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

It's tough because IBUs between the two styles overlap, and in both cases judges generally prefer a LOT of hop flavor and aroma, and the big differences between them, ABV, is not always easily distinguished.

The judge has to be aware of the risk of running too high in the ABV area, and if it's a dry and crisp IIPA it may be hard to tell. Usually an IIPA is thicker feeling and hotter. Other than that, they are very similar. And truth be told, I suspect a lot of judges in this category aren't necessarily going to ding an IPA for being too big.

IMO the hoppiness of all American craft beer has crept upward the past several years. What used to be pretty bitter and hoppy is "meh" to a lot of people nowadays.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
Regarding the comment about English IPAs being in another category, I agree and think its an excellent idea.
The problem I see with that is then English IPA's are very likely to win the category more often than not. In my experience, judges have a predisposition to anything that's bigger.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
red131
Recipes 

And that was one of my arguments with another club member. My IPA's are within style, but would lose in a competition because it's not massively hopped.

I feel that it isn't fair that I brew a perfect IPA that is within style, yet the IPA with the most hops (and that is out of style) takes the trophy. And to go further, I was seeing judges score beers poorly saying that an IPA should have been entered in as a pale ale. The overly hopped beers (that were out of style) were setting the bar way to high so every ale under it was being incorrectly judged.

Anyways, i'm done ranting. Thanks for listening all!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by red131 View Post
And that was one of my arguments with another club member. My IPA's are within style, but would lose in a competition because it's not massively hopped.

I feel that it isn't fair that I brew a perfect IPA that is within style, yet the IPA with the most hops (and that is out of style) takes the trophy. And to go further, I was seeing judges score beers poorly saying that an IPA should have been entered in as a pale ale. The overly hopped beers (that were out of style) were setting the bar way to high so every ale under it was being incorrectly judged.

Anyways, i'm done ranting. Thanks for listening all!
But the IBU:GU ratios on 100+ IBU IPAs are way off I think. Here's a standard IPA recipe that I brew all the time:

12 lbs two row
0.75 lbs c-20
OG: 1.065
IBU: 65

That recipe is styled after Ranger, my favorite IPA. It's a showcase for hops; the malt only provides a backbone. To me, that's a bitter beer. If I took it to 100 IBU, it would taste bad. I think it would score lower if I did.

You are going to get judges who score beers according to their ideas of what they like in a beer. One time I entered my dubbel in a comp and it scored a 31. The comments made it clear that these judges preferred a sweeter American-style dubbel. I like a drier, more restrained dubbel. Next comp I entered it in, it scored a 45 and got a gold. Don't sweat it. Just keep entering and you will find some people who like your beer. Honestly, I would think most people would prefer an IPA brewed to style over an imbalanced one.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #20
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

I just got a 33 on my English IPA in the OrganicHomberewsCompettion.ONe of the judges didnt "prefer" and like my hop choice .Really I was debating on entering in in American IPA. Didnt get docked as bad as I thought. No flaws also. I just thought it was more of a American version of an English IPA, and it didnt taste all that American in my opinon,mainly due to yeast choice. More of a hybrid,if I stuck to the basics I probably would have got an even higher score. It tasted good and I knew it,thats what matters. How many of these current successful breweries really stick to guidelines,anyways?

Quick Reply