Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA's not within BJCP style guidelines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
red131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default IPA's not within BJCP style guidelines

I live on the west coast and so our IPA's are ridiculously hopped. I have heard the discussion on other forums of wanting to create a new BJCP category called West Coast IPA because it generally doesn't fall within the IPA style guidelines specified by BJCP.

In the past, I have judged quite a few of these "West Coast" type IPA's entered under category 14B. And honestly they were some of the best beers I have ever tasted taking best of show many times in competitions.

Now the reason I bring it up is because most these IPA's were so over hopped, that they technically did not fall within the style for a traditional American IPA specified by BJCP.

So in all honesty, these beers should have been docked points for being entered in the wrong category right?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by red131; 10-08-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: I had stated 14C when I meant 14B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

That the guidelines need to be more loose or just have more selections/styles which need to be updated in my opinon as well. Im pretty shure my English(style) Ipa either got disqualified or majorly docked. I didnt want to enter it as a specialty beer. Even commercial craft beers are not in those guidelines for the style listed-alot.So I dont get it. Whatever though. Beers today are not traditonally styled per style ,but in genneral they are that style but just varied within those styles. Or should I say they are still those styles but outside of those stlye guidelines.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The only time I stick to BJCP guidelines is if I'm brewing for competition. Those are also the only beers that I bother entering.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 48

As a side note, I've never really liked delimiting East/West Coast anything. I understand the generalization, but using terms like that really does reveal a persons limited exposure to beers on a national level (in regards to the U.S.) especially when there are brewers in the central, northern, and southern United States who are doing the same thing. Regional pride is important, and I respect that, but even Mitch Steele said that the English were making IPAs of similar strength to what we have today. On the main topic, how high are the IBU's in these beers anyway? 14C is 120 IBUs! RateBeer states Pliny is 100, and I've read that it has tested much lower.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you talking about IPAs over 70 IBU? There is a category for that: Imperial IPA.

My 2 cents is I am sick of the west coast attitude. You guys annoyed me with the whole "Cascadian dark ale" thing (a "style" invented in Vermont) and personally I think IPAs over 70 IBU taste like garbage. The whole extreme everything is so 1996 Mountain Dew ad.

If we want to talk about changing guidelines, I think a better concern is putting English IPA in the English pale ale category, because I have yet to see an English IPA win the IPA category. It's really a totally different beer than American IPA and won't stand out against them.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

nukebrewer Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2544 Times on 1495 Posts
Likes Given: 5722

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
The whole extreme everything is so 1996 Mountain Dew ad.
+1 Being a "hop head" is like being someone who likes really hot food. After a certain point you're not doing it because you like it, you're doing it so you can say you did it.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Seriously? Are people actually busting out of 14C?
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1c

Hard to imagine a 14D. Would malt flavor be a flaw?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer

+1 Being a "hop head" is like being someone who likes really hot food. After a certain point you're not doing it because you like it, you're doing it so you can say you did it.
You obviously don't get it. Drinking 100+ IBU beers has nothing to do with saying you did it, its about enjoying the way it taste. Not everyone likes hop bombs, and that's fine, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else doesn't too.

Regarding the comment about English IPAs being in another category, I agree and think its an excellent idea.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

West coast ipas are about flavor not just high ibu - most fall just fine within guidelines

Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2544 Times on 1495 Posts
Likes Given: 5722

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
You obviously don't get it. Drinking 100+ IBU beers has nothing to do with saying you did it, its about enjoying the way it taste. Not everyone likes hop bombs, and that's fine, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else doesn't too.
It's about the more, more, more attitude everyone takes in regard to hoppiness. There is a threshold past which the human tongue can't perceive additional hop bitterness or flavor. But the average consumer doesn't know this and that's how brewers get away with selling a beer that has a supposed 2500 freaking IBUs.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Quick Reply