Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA w/Galena and Chinook....whats gonna happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
PitchnGrin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bitter with it a lot. It has a minty note but is otherwise pretty neutral and gets the job done. But I am also curious about the flavor although I've read it is underwhelming.
I have a columbus/amarillo IPA that I had an extra gallon from the boil. So the 5 gallons got the columbus/amarillo/centennial dry hop and the 1 gallon got Galena and Willamette. I hope it will be an nice earthy spicy change up.

Time will tell, it's going to bottles today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchnGrin View Post
I bitter with it a lot. It has a minty note but is otherwise pretty neutral and gets the job done. But I am also curious about the flavor although I've read it is underwhelming.
I have a columbus/amarillo IPA that I had an extra gallon from the boil. So the 5 gallons got the columbus/amarillo/centennial dry hop and the 1 gallon got Galena and Willamette. I hope it will be an nice earthy spicy change up.

Time will tell, it's going to bottles today.
yeah, reading ur post, i think i've convinced myself to bitter and aroma w/the chinook, and aroma and flavor with amarillo in place of galena. I'll save the galena for some later bittering

"Life's short. Drink a lot of beer." -Randolph McMalty

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #13
PitchnGrin
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So just to follow up because I hate how 80% of the threads that interest me end with NO Conclusion. Punks!

The Gallon I dry hopped with Galena/Willamette has bottle conditioned about a month. It tastes about how I expected. Nice earthy, spice, a little fruit but not blowing the doors off. Maybe a little rough around the edges from the Galena. I definitely like Willamette as a dry hop. There is something about sticking my nose in the empty glass with all that malty hoppy surface area. It reminds me a little bit of spending time with the lady. Mmmm. Has anyone made that association? I can't be the first...

Galena is making it a little rough but I've noticed it mellows with time so I will keep tasting it over time. I have 9 or so left. Drinkable and different for a good change up but not something I would keep around on purpose.

My other 5 gallons is awesome, I might back off a touch with the Columbus next time because it is being a little bit of a 'loud talker' but the amarillo and centennial are juicy good.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchnGrin View Post
So just to follow up because I hate how 80% of the threads that interest me end with NO Conclusion. Punks!

The Gallon I dry hopped with Galena/Willamette has bottle conditioned about a month. It tastes about how I expected. Nice earthy, spice, a little fruit but not blowing the doors off. Maybe a little rough around the edges from the Galena. I definitely like Willamette as a dry hop. There is something about sticking my nose in the empty glass with all that malty hoppy surface area. It reminds me a little bit of spending time with the lady. Mmmm. Has anyone made that association? I can't be the first...

Galena is making it a little rough but I've noticed it mellows with time so I will keep tasting it over time. I have 9 or so left. Drinkable and different for a good change up but not something I would keep around on purpose.

My other 5 gallons is awesome, I might back off a touch with the Columbus next time because it is being a little bit of a 'loud talker' but the amarillo and centennial are juicy good.
sorry that i'm just now following up.........Conclusion: it was too bitter , it's ok tho, it's still drinkable, just not what i was going for. Also i used 1 oz of peak smoked malt which i think was probably too much. oh well, lesson learned. Now I'm gonna go the opposite direction and try a ton of late addition hops instead.

"Life's short. Drink a lot of beer." -Randolph McMalty

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply