Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   IPA w/Galena and Chinook....whats gonna happen? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ipa-w-galena-chinook-whats-gonna-happen-348470/)

McMalty 08-18-2012 09:52 PM

IPA w/Galena and Chinook....whats gonna happen?
 
k, so i designed my recipe to specifically use Simcoe, Citra, and Cascade. Turns out, there is a shortage of both simcoe and citra at my LHBS, so i had to substitute and i picked chinook and galena. but originally i wanted simcoe and citra b/c of their very specific taste and citrus qualities which can't really be duplicated. so, does anyone have any idea how it's gonna taste with 90 and 30 minute chinook additions, 60 and 15 min Galena additions, and a 5 min cascade addition. beersmith estimates the IBUs at 67, but i'm more interested in the taste. i don't want it to be completely bitter, i want a well balanced citrus. 90 min boil. 12.5 lbs u.s. 2 row, 1 lb of crystal 60.

MisterTipsy 08-18-2012 10:39 PM

That's going to be bitter enough to make a pig squeal.

MisterTipsy 08-18-2012 10:42 PM

Just kidding. It will be bitter though.

Most of the flavor is from the 15 minute addition.

McMalty 08-19-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterTipsy (Post 4342634)
Just kidding. It will be bitter though.

Most of the flavor is from the 15 minute addition.

Really? 67 IBUs is going to be too bitter? It's an IPA, that's pretty standard for good IPAs. So are you saying there is something about these particular hops that is going to make it extra bitter. And when i say "bitter", i don't mean normal IPA bitter, but extra bitter that detracts from the flavor profile..

MisterTipsy 08-19-2012 01:13 AM

It won't be too bitter, but it will be bitter. IPAs are bitter. Are you bitter? Would it be better if it were bitter? Be right back, I need to go to the ****ter.

Calder 08-19-2012 01:31 AM

I would have done the bittering with Galena and the flavor/aroma with Chinook.

For reference, Arrogant Bastard is a single hop Chinook beer (+ lots of Special B).

McMalty 08-19-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calder (Post 4342960)
I would have done the bittering with Galena and the flavor/aroma with Chinook.

For reference, Arrogant Bastard is a single hop Chinook beer (+ lots of Special B).

well i haven't brewed it yet, so should i really switch them up? what is Galena good for? i've never seen anyone actually use it.

MisterTipsy 08-19-2012 01:50 AM

Galena (US) 10-14% Primarily used for strong, clean, balanced bittering. Fruity, slightly citrusy and spicy.

Chinook (US) 11-13% Spicy, piney, grapefruity. Lingering slightly rough resiny bitterness

The hops are substitutes for each other.

logdrum 08-19-2012 02:13 AM

I agree w/ Calder: Galena as bittering, for sure. You could either flavor w the Chinook, or flip that w the Cascades, IMHO either schedule would work. FWIW, I use Galena a lot, it's fallen out of favor a bit, but I find it to be an excellent bittering hop that has a slightly mysterious undertone to it.

McMalty 08-19-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logdrum (Post 4343048)
I agree w/ Calder: Galena as bittering, for sure. You could either flavor w the Chinook, or flip that w the Cascades, IMHO either schedule would work. FWIW, I use Galena a lot, it's fallen out of favor a bit, but I find it to be an excellent bittering hop that has a slightly mysterious undertone to it.

"slightly mysterious" seems pretty good in a largely familiar class of IPAs


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.