Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA tastings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default IPA tastings

Why does it seem every time I go to a tasting with multiple brewers it seems like all they offer is an IPA or some version of an IPA? I consider myself a more traditional brewer and love me a good lager. Why are all these craft brewers so stuck on hop bombs?

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Because people like them and they want to satisfy their customers and/or make money. I love me some ipa so I have no issue with it!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Begin2Brew

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
Because people like them and they want to satisfy their customers and/or make money. I love me some ipa so I have no issue with it!
Don't get me wrong I love a good pale ale or IPA but it seems as if this is all that's available. Come on guys put out a good clean, crisp, refreshing Pilsner from time to time, or a nice helles or maibock.

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They will, when its trendy. I could be wrong maybe IPAs will always rule. They will always be my favorite but I am kind of board of them myself.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The stores by me that have tastings do lagers, stouts, porters, Belgians, sours, and all sorts of beers as much as they do ipa's, you must be in the wrong place!

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Jayhem Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
Begin2Brew

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltroha View Post
The stores by me that have tastings do lagers, stouts, porters, Belgians, sours, and all sorts of beers as much as they do ipa's, you must be in the wrong place!
Not stores, the last one was at the Lincoln Park Zoo and had over 150 beers. I found one lager, a helles and it was the best beer I found. All the others were IPA's a few wheat and wit beers, but 70% were IPA's.

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begin2Brew View Post
Don't get me wrong I love a good pale ale or IPA but it seems as if this is all that's available. Come on guys put out a good clean, crisp, refreshing Pilsner from time to time, or a nice helles or maibock.
umm... go to Europe?

but seriously. the best part of homebrewing is being able to make what you want. i say make it yourself and have 5 or 10 gallons to sit on for a few months.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I think it is because IPAs are not only popular but really fun to brew. Honestly. With lagers you are pushing for clean flavors and light tastes. With IPA you can push boundaries and get crazy with all the different hops and techniques. This is also why I think more people are getting turned onto them. Most lagers can taste a little different but you are still dealing in a pretty strict flavor profile. With IPA there is a lot more flexibility. At least IMHO. I think the same is somewhat true for the amount of people I see trying stouts now because they are looking for more variety in the flavor profiles.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Schol-R-LEA
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Why ales? In part because they are the most striking contrast to the mainstream light lagers, in part because they allow more variation and thus more room for both experimentation and brand recognition, and in part because ales are, in several ways, easier to brew and more forgiving of sloppy technique - flavors which would be a fault in a lager become 'character' in an ale.

As for why IPAs specifically, it's mostly just a matter of being trendy, and as a contrast to the earlier trend for Belgian styles, but there are other reasons. American micro-brewers have been fixated on hop-heavy recipes from day one, the US craft brewing movement being mainly centered in hop growing areas such as Northern California, Oregon and Washington. High hop rates and floral/citrusy hop aroma have been a signature of American craft brewing since New Albion Pale Ale, which was literally the first US micro-brewer and the first commercial beer to feature Cascade hops (and while 29 IBU may not seem much today, it was startlingly different in 1976). Also, IPAs are particularly forgiving of poor technique and handling, as the high hop rates tend to mask faults and act as a preservative (that was the original impetus of the style, circa 1790, after all - the high alcohol and the antibacterial qualities of the hops were used to keep the beer fresh over the course of a long sea voyage through the tropics).

Boy Toy: You must think I'm a terrible human being...
Punchline: Don't be ridiculous. Nobody thinks you're a human being.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begin2Brew View Post
Ways away from IL, but Hanger 24 just introduced a Helles Lager on tap in their tasting room. I think craft breweries are going to start bringing lagers into the mix to get the BMC drinkers into their tasting rooms.

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

On Deck: Summer Hefeweizen - own recipe
Primary #1: Hoppy American Amber
Primary #2:
on tap #1: Edwort's Apfelwein (aged 1 year)
on tap #2: none

Reason: changed a word

Quick Reply