New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA hop combinations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
NeighborsBrewingCo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Magnum is great for that bittering addition, I'd keep the A, C, S for within 15 minutes, whirlpool, dry hop.

Save some citra and amarillo and a little less simcoe for dry hopping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Redhawk96
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been experimenting with various hop additions and combinations for an IPA over the last year. My favorite combination is Citra and Simcoe in relatively large amounts, late in the boil, and in dry hopping. I just bought 12 oz. of Citra's at my LHBS, enough for three (or two 10 gal. batches). IMHO Citra is the best aroma hop, the citrus/tangerine aroma is out of this world.

I like both Centennial and Columbus for bittering hop additions early in the boil.

I just tried my first shot at FWH this past weekend, with 2 oz. of Citra (10 gal. batch), it is fermenting away now. I will be interested to see how it comes out. Keep up the replies on this thread, I love discussing hop combinations. I have yet to get ahold of Amarillos, they are on my list!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #23
aeviaanah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk96 View Post
I have been experimenting with various hop additions and combinations for an IPA over the last year. My favorite combination is Citra and Simcoe in relatively large amounts, late in the boil, and in dry hopping. I just bought 12 oz. of Citra's at my LHBS, enough for three (or two 10 gal. batches). IMHO Citra is the best aroma hop, the citrus/tangerine aroma is out of this world.

I like both Centennial and Columbus for bittering hop additions early in the boil.

I just tried my first shot at FWH this past weekend, with 2 oz. of Citra (10 gal. batch), it is fermenting away now. I will be interested to see how it comes out. Keep up the replies on this thread, I love discussing hop combinations. I have yet to get ahold of Amarillos, they are on my list!
I went ahead and brewed a batch I call rainy day APA. I collected rain water, ran through carbon and brewed an IPA.

I used amarillo and simcoe as FWH. Bittering was Magnum. For aroma I used amarillo and simcoe from 15 to flameout for an IBU of 57. Beer is still quit young, its not the best but i think with some time it will mellow out. It screams with flavor. I like the hop combination just needs a bit of mellow.

I then paired Horizon (bittering) with amarillo (aroma) and cascade for a 1 gallon batch, dry hopped with cascade. I wanted to try yeast harvesting from a 6 pack of sierra nevada. Its getting ready to be cold crashed.

After that I made a 6 gal batch of ale using horizon and simcoe. I used both as bittering and aroma. Not sure what I should use to dry hop. Any suggestions? I still have 4 oz of citra. I also have warrior, tettnanger and summit. Not sure if any of these would meet the criteria. Possibly the citra?

I just ordered hallertau, cascade, uk kent goldings and australian galaxy. See any good combinations with what I have on hand? Ill be using kent and hallertau for a lager.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
walcotteric
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Similar question: I've got Fuggles, Kent Goldings, Warrior, Challenger and Simcoe. What would be the best combinations?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by walcotteric View Post
Similar question: I've got Fuggles, Kent Goldings, Warrior, Challenger and Simcoe. What would be the best combinations?
if you're looking to make an american IPA, i would bitter with Warrior and for late additions i'd go with Simcoe and some Challenger.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #26
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
if you're looking to make an american IPA, i would bitter with Warrior and for late additions i'd go with Simcoe and some Challenger.
I would also suggest the same, but if you want to toss a earthy note which I think is nice in some cases, toss in some EKG in there late. It's a nice balance.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply