Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA grains: Munich vs. Vienna vs. Amber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
mrphillips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default IPA grains: Munich vs. Vienna vs. Amber

I'm using Extra Light DME as the base of my malt bill, but I want to add a little complexity and malt backbone to my IPA. I'm familiar with the differences between munich and vienna malt, but not so much with Amber malt. How does amber malt compare?

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4281 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphillips View Post
I'm using Extra Light DME as the base of my malt bill, but I want to add a little complexity and malt backbone to my IPA. I'm familiar with the differences between munich and vienna malt, but not so much with Amber malt. How does amber malt compare?
Amber malt is interesting. A little goes a LONG way- I use 6 ounces in my IPA that has 13 pounds of two-row, and I can discern it. It's got this toasty/dry flavor and feeling and I really like it.

Munich is a very malty malt, if that makes sense, while Vienna is warm and bready malt. Amber malt is totally different, more like biscuit malt or brown malt without the roastiness. It's dry and toasty.

I would use pounds of Vienna or Munich malt in some IPAs, but only ounces of amber malt.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #3
mrphillips
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks for the advise. I was planing on a full pound, but I think I'll make it a half pound. I definitely don't want it to be the main show of the beer...I have hops to do that for me.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski

Quick Reply