New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale by Mitch Steele

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
Yeah, I was hoping on a bit more focus on dry hopping (pellets vs whole leaf, in a bag vs not, length, temp)
I think it really depends on your system....I have read to dry hop anywhere from 3-5 days (Brynildson) up to 14 days (Cilurzo). Obviously those guys know what is going on....Personally I usually shoot for 7 days but sometimes I have found I need a few more days....

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou

Yeah, I finally read this book and was definitely disappointed. It was 160 pages of IPA history, 40 pages of IPA ingredients and techniques (nothing groundbreaking) and then 70 pages of IPA recipes that are difficult to decipher.

For an example of the annoying recipes, check out Port's Wipeout IPA. Nowhere does it mention the amount of hops (be it lbs/bbl, % or anything). It just says "Use amarillo for first wort hopping, "centennial and simcoe at start of boil," etc. Not really a recipe if you ask me.

For other recipes, it uses percentages but doesn't indicate if the percentages are weight or IBU contribution - I assumed the latter to start, but that doesn't make sense since whirlpool additions will add way less IBUs. For example for Stone's 10th Anniversary, it says "Use 100% pellet hops and add 26% Summit at the start of boil. During the whirpool, add 37% each of Chinook and Crystal." I'd rather it give lbs/bbl, oz/gal or something. Now, I have to use brewing software to keep those % and ramp up the amounts to get to the desired IBUs.
It uses percentages for the grain bill so you can adjust your own recipe based up your batch size. They do give you gravity but yes there is math involved.

As for hops and yeast, did you really think a professional brewer is going I give you their exact recipe? At least they provide you IBUs and hops used as a starting point.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Im a porter, stout, and dark malty man. I doubt Id really like anything in that book since I believe almost all brews deserve a malty backbone, and I already have 2 brew books that I'm currently reading (Brew like a monk and tasting beer)

Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I was overall dissapointed with the book. I don't really care about history and was looking for technical info. There was very little I didn't already know. (the section on doing cell counts was good though)

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #15
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
As for hops and yeast, did you really think a professional brewer is going I give you their exact recipe?
Yes. They do it all the time.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
Yes. They do it all the time.
The Stone Book is better for recipes.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Worth the rent. If you want the history, as I do, it's a great read. If you don't, skip the history and it's still worth the price of admission.

Quick Reply