Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale by Mitch Steele

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
BillBeer247
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale by Mitch Steele

Anyone plan on buying this book, " IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale by Mitch Steele (Oct 16, 2012) "? Thebrewingnetwork recently did a show with Mitch. Amazon has it on preorder for $16

the main question for me is, how much of the material do i already know in the book(I dont care about any of the evolution aspect). And for the info i dont know, in this day and age, there will probably be several discussion threads made on the topics/points

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've got it on my xmas list. But I'm a stone fan and an ipa guy.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I pre-ordered mine from the Brewers' Association awhile back when they were running a sale for AHA members, and it just came in this morning. I had read CAMRA's IPA book (this) awhile back, and while super interesting, it's only really about English IPA. This looks like it covers all of the history plus newer renditions such as black/white/belgian/session IPAs. I'm looking forward to tearing into this for sure.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
itoriapt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am about halfway through it and enjoying it alot. I don't know if it will help me make better beer, but I am glad I bought it.

Tap #1: Bohemian Pilsner
Tap #2: Munich Dunkel
Lagering: Rauchbier
Carboy: Saion Brux
Barrel Aging: Flanders Red
Bottle Aging: Flanders Brown

Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I got it on the preorder, but haven't opened it yet. Some help I am.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 207

As to how much you already know, can't answer the question.

There is a lot of the history and development of the style and how how it has progressed over time and I found it very interesting and debunked a few myths. There are a lot if recipes in the book for both old and new breweries although some are much more specific than others.

If you like IPAs, IIpAs and the newer black IPAs then I think you'll enjoy the book

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
zebbielm12
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Most of the book is an in-depth history of IPA, from development to the modern era. There are charts of the IPA's produced during certain periods with their various gravities/ibus/srms etc. The recipes alone were worth it for me; there's stuff from firestone walker, pizza port, deschuttes, hill farmstead, russian river, fullers, stone, dogfish and a bunch more.

The only thing I was disappointed about was the lack of brewing techniques. It goes over the basics of IPA brewing, but nothing you haven't read before.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebbielm12 View Post
Most of the book is an in-depth history of IPA, from development to the modern era. There are charts of the IPA's produced during certain periods with their various gravities/ibus/srms etc. The recipes alone were worth it for me; there's stuff from firestone walker, pizza port, deschuttes, hill farmstead, russian river, fullers, stone, dogfish and a bunch more.

The only thing I was disappointed about was the lack of brewing techniques. It goes over the basics of IPA brewing, but nothing you haven't read before.
Yeah, I was hoping on a bit more focus on dry hopping (pellets vs whole leaf, in a bag vs not, length, temp)

Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14

Yeah, I was hoping on a bit more focus on dry hopping (pellets vs whole leaf, in a bag vs not, length, temp)
Yeah, you're not going to get that in this book. What you are looking for us more about technique and IMO you'll find lots of that here on HBT with debate in all directions

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebbielm12 View Post
Yeah, I finally read this book and was definitely disappointed. It was 160 pages of IPA history, 40 pages of IPA ingredients and techniques (nothing groundbreaking) and then 70 pages of IPA recipes that are difficult to decipher.

For an example of the annoying recipes, check out Port's Wipeout IPA. Nowhere does it mention the amount of hops (be it lbs/bbl, % or anything). It just says "Use amarillo for first wort hopping, "centennial and simcoe at start of boil," etc. Not really a recipe if you ask me.

For other recipes, it uses percentages but doesn't indicate if the percentages are weight or IBU contribution - I assumed the latter to start, but that doesn't make sense since whirlpool additions will add way less IBUs. For example for Stone's 10th Anniversary, it says "Use 100% pellet hops and add 26% Summit at the start of boil. During the whirpool, add 37% each of Chinook and Crystal." I'd rather it give lbs/bbl, oz/gal or something. Now, I have to use brewing software to keep those % and ramp up the amounts to get to the desired IBUs.

Quick Reply