Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
carrotmalt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBrewin View Post
...now i know youre supposed to let IPAs age a good amount of time to allow the hop character to really mature in the beer.
I'd be careful with this line of thinking. Don't drink it green, but if you made an IPA, it's for the hops, and aging is going to lessen both bitterness and hop flavor/aroma. Most of the reading I've done says an IPA is to be enjoyed while young. The IPA and Pale Ales I've done have all gone down hill hop-wise pretty quickly after being fully carbed.

As for not enough bitterness right now, I'd say that may well change once it's fully carbed. The idea that "high carbonation can mask hops" may be true, but to me overcarbed beers have an acidic bite that actually makes them seem more bitter. Maybe the hop flavor/aroma is masked rather than bitterness, but I'm not sure Mosher's point here applies to flat beer versus properly carbed beer anyway (I'm just guessing here as I haven't read the book).

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
I'd be careful with this line of thinking. Don't drink it green, but if you made an IPA, it's for the hops, and aging is going to lessen both bitterness and hop flavor/aroma. Most of the reading I've done says an IPA is to be enjoyed while young. The IPA and Pale Ales I've done have all gone down hill hop-wise pretty quickly after being fully carbed.

As for not enough bitterness right now, I'd say that may well change once it's fully carbed. The idea that "high carbonation can mask hops" may be true, but to me overcarbed beers have an acidic bite that actually makes them seem more bitter. Maybe the hop flavor/aroma is masked rather than bitterness, but I'm not sure Mosher's point here applies to flat beer versus properly carbed beer anyway (I'm just guessing here as I haven't read the book).
+1

My hoppy beers start degrading the second the dry hops drop out. Drink them fresh!!!

That being said, Arrogant Bastard isn't really an IPA, it's got a ton of maltiness so a little age prolly won't hurt.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
+1
That being said, Arrogant Bastard isn't really an IPA, it's got a ton of maltiness so a little age prolly won't hurt.
Yes, but it has a ton of hop flavor and bitterness to surpass that big malf backbone. im just a little dissapointed that my 87 IBU clone doesnt even come off as even a little bit hoppy. having a difficult time wrapping my brain around it. and here i was thinking i did a good job on it too...

Cheers,

-Zach

Old 10-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBrewin View Post
Yes, but it has a ton of hop flavor and bitterness to surpass that big malf backbone. im just a little dissapointed that my 87 IBU clone doesnt even come off as even a little bit hoppy. having a difficult time wrapping my brain around it. and here i was thinking i did a good job on it too...
Pellet or whole?

I've noticed on my system that whole hops for the bittering addition make markedly less bitter beer than pellets, even with the beersmith 10% utilization adjustment. I have moved to always trying to use pellet hops for my bittering at the least.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
ColonelForbin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it is always possible that the hops you were using weren't as fresh as you thought.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #16
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There's also the IBU calculation formula used. The two main ones can vary quite a bit at those levels. All I can say is next time you make the recipe, make it 100 IBU and see if that's where you like it.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post

+1
I was taught by the brewers of a local brewery, and their flagship beeer is an IPA. For commercial reasons, they are turning the beer around at 2.5 weeks. I leave the beer in primary for 4 weeks, swirl at 3.5 weeks, cold crash and maintain at serving temp, rack to the keg and dry hop, charge with CO2 and purge atmosphere and leave connected to gas, pull the dry hops at 1-2 weeks depending on hops used, amount I used, and the particular flavor achieved-so when I like it, they come out.

Dry hop aroma starts to degrade as soon as it is pulled. An IPA will continue to lose flavor and aging is more for the complexity of the malt flavors and NOT for hop purposes. I achieve this by the lengthy primary and an extra couple weeks in the keg. A bigger beer is treated to more lengthy maturation, but I don't brew IIPA's or BW's.

Others may use different methods, but this was beat into me, and it's just how I do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 10-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

pellet hops were unopened til brew time. IBU calculation was done at brewer's friend.

i will give another update within the next week, but im disappointed in the results so far.

been brewing for almost 1.5 yrs now and feeling like i need a re-education.. =/

Cheers,

-Zach

Quick Reply