Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Installing an outdoor hose?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Boston Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Installing an outdoor hose?

Does anyone know whether this is possible, and if so, how easy it is?

To clarify, I live in the second and third floor of a triple decker in South Boston (think Good Will Hunting/The Departed, and you'll know what I'm talking about). We have a deck of the third floor which is fairly sizable, but there are no outdoor hose faucets.

I would like to be able to use an immersion chiller outside. We are having a contractor in to do some work on the place and I am wondering whether it is possible to "install" a garden hose on the deck.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4471 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Sure it's possible, but it might not be affordable. I have an old log home and it's very difficult to have work done on it that involves plumbing and electrical due to the 13 inch thick logs.

All I've done is buy a waterbed filler set up for a hose, and then run that hose through the patio door onto the deck. But then I just let the emptying water out on the lawn. What would you do with the water that is leaving the chiller?
When I brew inside (most of the time, I hate brewing outside), I just do the same thing and drain the water to the kitchen sink.

Edit- I just had another thought. You could use a pump and fill a cooler with water and ice and just pump that through. I know there are people on water restrictions that do that, but I'm not sure of the details.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Is there a kitchen or bathroom near where you want the faucet? If so, it's just a matter is some pretty simple soldering. Just make sure to put a shut off valve on it so it doesn't freeze and go bad in the winter

Old 10-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Boston Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
When I brew inside (most of the time, I hate brewing outside)...
I would love to brew inside, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do things like full boils on my stove. I was under the assumption that a burner would require a basement (which I don't have) or outdoor space.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Boston Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Is there a kitchen or bathroom near where you want the faucet? If so, it's just a matter is some pretty simple soldering. Just make sure to put a shut off valve on it so it doesn't freeze and go bad in the winter
NOt really, but two massive air conditioning units (ours, and the one that services the first floor and basement condo) sit on the deck. I know nothing about AC units, but it seems like they should have a water intake pipe someplace.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4471 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Brewer
I would love to brew inside, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do things like full boils on my stove. I was under the assumption that a burner would require a basement (which I don't have) or outdoor space.
Oh, yeah, I have a big professional stove type thing. I can easily boil 7 gallons (probably more but my pot's not much bigger than that) on my stove. I have a big kitchen, so my mash tun is on a stool, some stuff on the island, the brewpot on the stove and some stuff on the floor, so it's kind of a makeshift 3 tier system.

You've definitely got to use the burner outside or someplace with excellent air exchange, no doubt about that. I was just saying that the kitchen sink works ok for the hose, if you don't want to do any work on the house. I don't know how your house is set up, so I was thinking up some options.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
cj8scrambler

Recipes 

I added an outside hose spigot for brewing purposes last spring. In my case it was run through the unfinished basement and came out at ground level. Your case is just as doable, the only question would be how much the interior walls would need to be cut up and repaired to run the pipe to the correct place.

If the wall that it is going on is well insulated, then you can use a 'frost free' hose bib which can be used year round. However these need to be installed correctly (tipping downward slightly) and never leave a hose connected to it in freezing weather.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nope, no water intake on the AC units. The easiest access is always from an unfinished basement but it doesn't sound too hopeful in your situation.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Boston Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Oh, yeah, I have a big professional stove type thing. I can easily boil 7 gallons (probably more but my pot's not much bigger than that) on my stove. I have a big kitchen, so my mash tun is on a stool, some stuff on the island, the brewpot on the stove and some stuff on the floor, so it's kind of a makeshift 3 tier system.

You've definitely got to use the burner outside or someplace with excellent air exchange, no doubt about that. I was just saying that the kitchen sink works ok for the hose, if you don't want to do any work on the house. I don't know how your house is set up, so I was thinking up some options.
Thanks much. I sincerely appreciate your brainstorming with me.

You know, perhaps my burners could support a larger boil. Without having tried it, I probably shouldn't comment. My basic problem is still my ability to chill a larger boil. All my faucets are totally wonky and don't seem to support adapters for a wort chiller. I'll have to post a pic later so that I can explain.

Just a question...do people (honestly) produce good tasting beer just using partial boil extract w/ steeping grain methods?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
Boston Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Nope, no water intake on the AC units. The easiest access is always from an unfinished basement but it doesn't sound too hopeful in your situation.
I guess I'll keep my day job and not venture into the world of HVAC maintenance then...

Quick Reply