Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Input please...want to make a huge beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
agroff383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Input please...want to make a huge beer!

Hey all, I have been fantasizing about making a recipe I found in Radical Brewing, the Ignoble Doble Doble. It is a huge beer with 20lb of MO and 2 lb of biscuit malt, using one half of the grain bill per mash and using the runoff from the first mash as strike water for the second half of grain. It calls for 11 oz of EKG hops.

Therein lies the problem. I have Cascade, Northern Brewer, Magnum, Hallertau, and Citra in bulk. Wondering what would be a good sub for the EKG and being close to the recipe.

Also it says I can add 2 more lbs of biscuit/amber malt to the second mash and run off a session ale, would this be a good idea, maximizing my time and malt on a brewday?

Also for a beer this big, I know I want a big starter. What type of liquid yeast should I use? The book says any British alcohol-tolerant strain...what would be good? Thanks all!

Can I have your business card?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Regarding your hops, I don't think any of them is a really good substitution for EKG... The Hallertau may be closest in alpha, so the quantity will probably be similar for an equivalent IBU...perhaps using the Northern Brewer would get you closest...according to Hopunion, that hop has an English lineage, and lists "all English style beers" as possible uses. However, it also lists Chinook as a possible substitute, which I would assume is substitution as a bittering hop only, given the aroma character being so different between them...

Wyeast sells multiple British strains that have tolerances up to 10%, but this is a huge beer! You might want to start with one of the ale yeasts, and if it sticks or doesn't get down to where you want the FG, finish with something else like a champagne yeast?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

So this is a big English Barley Wine? I would use the Thomas Hardy Yeast (WLP099 I think).

None of those hops have an english character. I would personally buy goldings.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Tom
Recipes 

Use what you got. Make it an American Barleywine. If it were me I would use Magnum and NB for bittering and Cascade and Citra for flavor and aroma.

The whole thing about the doble-doble is making a very strong wort without boiling forever. "Wasteful of malt and men."

I made 6 gallons of a Samichlaus clone using 42# of pilsner malt. I used 28# (2/3) for the first mash and used all of its wort to mash-in the second mash. If you start the 2nd mash in the 140's you will get as fermentable a wort as possible. I only used the first runnings of the second mash and ended up with 6 gallons of 1.134 o.g. wort.

As for fermenting the beast, you'll want lots of yeast (I think I used yeast cakes from two regular strength 5 gallon batches - pilsner yeast in one and the Zurich yeast in the other). Then lots of yeast nutrient. And lots of oxygen. Lots of yeast with lots of sugar is going to make lots of heat so watch the fermentation temperature carefully.

Brew on

Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Use what you got. Make it an American Barleywine. If it were me I would use Magnum and NB for bittering and Cascade and Citra for flavor and aroma.

The whole thing about the doble-doble is making a very strong wort without boiling forever. "Wasteful of malt and men."

I made 6 gallons of a Samichlaus clone using 42# of pilsner malt. I used 28# (2/3) for the first mash and used all of its wort to mash-in the second mash. If you start the 2nd mash in the 140's you will get as fermentable a wort as possible. I only used the first runnings of the second mash and ended up with 6 gallons of 1.134 o.g. wort.

As for fermenting the beast, you'll want lots of yeast (I think I used yeast cakes from two regular strength 5 gallon batches - pilsner yeast in one and the Zurich yeast in the other). Then lots of yeast nutrient. And lots of oxygen. Lots of yeast with lots of sugar is going to make lots of heat so watch the fermentation temperature carefully.

Brew on
Cool idea man. Jeez I am just freakin stoked to do this! I have never made anything over 1065 so it is time to go hard or go home....its going to be epic! I like the idea of an American Barleywine...I just want to use the hops I have before they go bad, I can't really store them in optimum condition so I want to brew my ass off.

How about half Vienna and half Munich for my grain bill?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Tom
Recipes 

All Vienna and Munich will give it lots of body and maltiness. Why not? Give the mash lots of time to convert.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
All Vienna and Munich will give it lots of body and maltiness. Why not? Give the mash lots of time to convert.
Hmmm. Mash at like 152 for 90 mins per? This will be one long brewday. I can't wait! Thinking on the hop schedule:

3 oz Magnum 90 min
3 oz Northern Brewer 30 min
2 oz Citra flameout
2 oz Cascade dry hop

Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #8
BrewN00b
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agroff383 View Post
Hmmm. Mash at like 152 for 90 mins per? This will be one long brewday. I can't wait! Thinking on the hop schedule:

3 oz Magnum 90 min
3 oz Northern Brewer 30 min
2 oz Citra flameout
2 oz Cascade dry hop
Personally, I think you should mash it nice and low, like 149f. A beer of that gravity will have plenty of its body, it doesn't need the thickness that such a temp would create.

Primary Fermenter: English ESB

Secondary: EMPTY :(

Secondary: Empty :(

Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
leapdog
Recipes 

and you may not want the dry-hop. by the time this thing gets good and drinkable, i doubt there will be much of the dry-hop aroma left.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Honestly I'd say NB is your best bet. If it's an English beer you don't want it to be too citrus in taste (unless you do want it to be that way) so using Cascade or Citra would not be a good idea. NB won't give you great taste, but it would be closer to style than the others.

Quick Reply