Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it infected or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
alxmonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it infected or not?

I knocked up a dark ale recently and started by forgetting to take into account my lower boil volume so the brew isn't anywhere near as hoppy but still seems to taste nice. The weird thing is that after pouring it into a glass, it develops a flat clump of just off white sediment. The other thing is that it has a cherry like taste in the background and I'm surprised since the hops I used (Citra, chinook, and simcoe) are generally more citrus!

Anyone any ideas whether this brew has an odd infection or its just paranoia brought on by the 7.5% abv?

The

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1769 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Are you sure it's not more sherry-like flavor? Could be oxidation...

Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Hello
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1376 Times on 959 Posts
Likes Given: 2154

A flat clump of white sediment sounds like what is on the bottom of bottles after chilling. Are you just pouring the beer like you would a commercial brew? If so, don't. It's yeast, mostly.

I don't know about the taste but it sounds like yeast settling in your glass.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
alxmonkey
Recipes 

Unionrdr - it's more like cherry sweets than sherry I think, but then again I've not had cherry for a long time. Smells is what I kind of expected , but the almost acid wiff of oxidation isn't there so I don't think its oxidised.

I should have said in first post but, 'm pouring it out of a pressure barrel so I guess it's likely some sediment is getting out (the taps on the bottom of the barrel). It's not made me ill yet but Id not noticed sediment like that in my brews before. Thanks

Quick Reply