Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Increasing alcohol content

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
markven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Increasing alcohol content

I usually add a 1kg bag of malt/ dextrose mix to my wort to increase the alcohol content, are there other advantages to adding this? Or could I simply add sugar to save money, and get the same result? I'm using a fresh wort from my local brewery, this comes in a 15 Lt container all I am required to do is add water and yeast.
Thanks
Mark from Sydney

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markven
I usually add a 1kg bag of malt/ dextrose mix to my wort to increase the alcohol content, are there other advantages to adding this? Or could I simply add sugar to save money, and get the same result? I'm using a fresh wort from my local brewery, this comes in a 15 Lt container all I am required to do is add water and yeast.
Thanks
Mark from Sydney
Flavor and body. Sugar will thin the beer out and is flavor-neutral at best. Stick with the malt extract for the best tasting beer (unless you're going for a style that should be thinner/drier)

Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Flavor and body. Sugar will thin the beer out and is flavor-neutral at best. Stick with the malt extract for the best tasting beer (unless you're going for a style that should be thinner/drier)
+1

Malt sugars are partially fermentable while table sugar and the likes are nearly 100% fermentable. Sure you'll boost the booze, but your beer will be lacking in the way of body and mouthfeel.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markven View Post
Thanks
Mark from Sydney
Well, just dont add water or even if it is still to "light" boil it down a bit? Use the hydrometer to get your target ABV. That way, you are not "adding" anything that change the original taste of the beer.

Quick Reply