Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > inaccurate beer descriptions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #41
ludomonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: berlin, nj
Posts: 507
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Quote:
Why don't people understand that just because your dad and your dad's dad drank it doesn't mean its good. This beer shouldn't be shouldn't served, sold, or given away for free. This is pure butt pee in a can. Some one should petition congress and have there brewery shut down and burned. This a black eye on America's beer portfolio. I hate this beer.
I like PBR. It's my go-to mass-produced beer. I also like Banquet. I have a friend who keeps a record of all the beers he's tried (a very long list). He enjoys Ginny Cream Ale. Just because you enjoy beers that aren't mass-produced, doesn't mean you have to stop drinking your old standards. Sometimes, a low-hopped, crisp, light-bodied and refreshing beer is going to hit the spot.
__________________

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

ludomonster is offline
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #42
trumpetbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 78
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster View Post
I like PBR. Sometimes, a low-hopped, crisp, light-bodied and refreshing beer is going to hit the spot.
Good hear someone else say it. I love me some fancy beers, but sometimes a light adjunct lager is the way to go. For the price PBR can't be beat. That is, unless you're in Wisconsin and you have classic selections like Hamms, Lacrosse, Schiltz, and Strohs to wash down your PBR. Whenever I'm back in Rochester Genny becomes my go-to.

That said, I've seen a pattern in beer descriptions lately claiming fruit flavors from lager yeast and using "juicy" malt character. I thought most esters, for that matter esters of any kind, were undesirable in lagers ('clean' being that adjective I most associate with lager yeast), and I just can't reconcile 'juicy' with malty. Hops sure, but malt flavors?
__________________
trumpetbeard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #43
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lou2row's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NW Ohio, Ohio
Posts: 530
Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Had a Victory Storm King Imperial stout tonight for the first time. Over the top hopped with little malt character. A black IPA would likely be much closer. I was wanting a stout, so was very disappointing with their description. Probably be my last storm king as a result.

__________________
Do you know the place
Where my home brew waits for me?
refrigerator
lou2row is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #44
OldBunny
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
OldBunny's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 176
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Years ago I had the privilege to taste (taste? hell, drink a quart or two) of PBR on draft in Milwaukee. Unpasteurized, fresh from the brewery. It was a wonderful beer! Especially when drinking it with Willy G. Davidson (but that's another story...).

__________________
OldBunny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #45
fredthecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the world
Posts: 414
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default

i generally like PBR too for having a character, though maybe I too am falling victim to a brand image/set of ideas associated with a product.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
My friends and I are far from hooting fratboys, but we have been known to purchase a floating beer pong raft and go out onto a sandbar in Grand Traverse Bay and rip out some beer pong! Canned Atwater Circus IPA ($3.99 six pack and not terrible) was our go-to. I don't understand why you bash it and paint all beer pong players with such a broad brush. And why are you hating on Newcastle so hard? It isn't my favorite either, but you seem like you have some sort of heir of superiority going on.
im "hating on" newcastle because of what i just mentioned, brand image/advertising. newcastle is not bad, i'd drink it, i'd also drink heineken. however, they are part of the mega-macro machine. back to the main point of this thread, i know a lot of people who are in love with a brand of beer not because of taste but because of brand image, or a fraudulent idea of authenticity. perhaps i do have an air of superiority, i see it as being thoughtful.

and im very sorry if i am tarnishing the name of the great sport of beer pong in your eyes. i'll try to expand my horizons and join up for some lessons at the local rec centre.
__________________
fredthecat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #46
fredthecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the world
Posts: 414
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbeard View Post
Good hear someone else say it. I love me some fancy beers, but sometimes a light adjunct lager is the way to go. For the price PBR can't be beat. That is, unless you're in Wisconsin and you have classic selections like Hamms, Lacrosse, Schiltz, and Strohs to wash down your PBR. Whenever I'm back in Rochester Genny becomes my go-to.

That said, I've seen a pattern in beer descriptions lately claiming fruit flavors from lager yeast and using "juicy" malt character. I thought most esters, for that matter esters of any kind, were undesirable in lagers ('clean' being that adjective I most associate with lager yeast), and I just can't reconcile 'juicy' with malty. Hops sure, but malt flavors?
ahh yes and "sweetness" from hops. haha
__________________
fredthecat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #47
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 889
Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthecat View Post
i generally like PBR too for having a character, though maybe I too am falling victim to a brand image/set of ideas associated with a product.




im "hating on" newcastle because of what i just mentioned, brand image/advertising. newcastle is not bad, i'd drink it, i'd also drink heineken. however, they are part of the mega-macro machine. back to the main point of this thread, i know a lot of people who are in love with a brand of beer not because of taste but because of brand image, or a fraudulent idea of authenticity. perhaps i do have an air of superiority, i see it as being thoughtful.

and im very sorry if i am tarnishing the name of the great sport of beer pong in your eyes. i'll try to expand my horizons and join up for some lessons at the local rec centre.
Oh wow, I did use the incorrect word. Then again, I find it interesting that you can pick out that, but cannot seem to use the proper case through even one sentence.

Anyhow, your point about the "mega-macro" machine is still not well taken. If you cannot handle the filter required to ignore advertising and marketing, don't pay attention to it at all or let it bother you. It's beyond your control. And further, it has nothing to do with this thread, which was about beer descriptions.
__________________
JordanThomas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #48
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Getzinator's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wilmington, De
Posts: 359
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthecat View Post
i generally like PBR too for having a character, though maybe I too am falling victim to a brand image/set of ideas associated with a product.
People who like PBR generally enjoy playing beer pong. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthecat View Post
im "hating on" newcastle because of what i just mentioned, brand image/advertising. newcastle is not bad, i'd drink it, i'd also drink heineken. however, they are part of the mega-macro machine. back to the main point of this thread, i know a lot of people who are in love with a brand of beer not because of taste but because of brand image, or a fraudulent idea of authenticity. perhaps i do have an air of superiority, i see it as being thoughtful.

and im very sorry if i am tarnishing the name of the great sport of beer pong in your eyes. i'll try to expand my horizons and join up for some lessons at the local rec centre.
Mayhap the content of this thread on ye forum be related to "inaccurate beer descriptions"? Lest I be the simpleton, 'twould seem you've comandeered it for your purposes of beer snobbery.

But seriously, chill bra.
__________________

My spoon is TOO big.

Getzinator is offline
JordanThomas Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #49
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 889
Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbeard View Post
Good hear someone else say it. I love me some fancy beers, but sometimes a light adjunct lager is the way to go. For the price PBR can't be beat. That is, unless you're in Wisconsin and you have classic selections like Hamms, Lacrosse, Schiltz, and Strohs to wash down your PBR. Whenever I'm back in Rochester Genny becomes my go-to.

That said, I've seen a pattern in beer descriptions lately claiming fruit flavors from lager yeast and using "juicy" malt character. I thought most esters, for that matter esters of any kind, were undesirable in lagers ('clean' being that adjective I most associate with lager yeast), and I just can't reconcile 'juicy' with malty. Hops sure, but malt flavors?
Ugh... PBR... I live in a very interesting part of town. Often marked by the high population of "hipsters." I really hate that term, but I'll put it to you this way: The price of PBR in the last 5 years has risen by about 15%. The new PBR around here is Black Label. It's always stocked at the local stores.
__________________
JordanThomas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #50
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Getzinator's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wilmington, De
Posts: 359
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Ugh... PBR... I live in a very interesting part of town. Often marked by the high population of "hipsters." I really hate that term, but I'll put it to you this way: The price of PBR in the last 5 years has risen by about 15%. The new PBR around here is Black Label. It's always stocked at the local stores.
Never had black label. Where is your part of town?

Also I agree, hipsters make me think of womens jeans.
__________________

My spoon is TOO big.

Getzinator is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer and Managing Beer Gut permo General Beer Discussion 101 03-11-2014 07:44 PM
Takara Tomy Beer Hour: The Ultimate Handy Beer Server ultravista General Beer Discussion 9 10-30-2012 07:51 PM
Inaccurate hydrometer?? Craigweiser General Beer Discussion 11 11-14-2011 01:31 AM
Suggest a resource for standard beer style descriptions Fishin-Jay General Beer Discussion 3 11-30-2009 12:21 AM
Terms and Descriptions of incgredients and their impact on beer cbotrice General Beer Discussion 1 08-18-2005 04:01 PM