Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > inaccurate beer descriptions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
fredthecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default inaccurate beer descriptions

post some cringe worthy inaccurate beer descriptions or even "i heard this guy once say ..." regarding terrible beer descriptions

a korean beer: "black beer stout" which is actually pretty decent for being so cheap
"Blackbeer Stout - Lager Type - From German Dark Roasted Malt"

also looking for know-nothing beer experts who will inaccurately throw around the words, hops, lager, ferment, alcohol etc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've had plenty of lackluster IPAs that said they're "Bursting with hops!" or something similar. I think IPA labels are the biggest culprits lying to the masses.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

sadly im tuckered out from a workweek, but i'll get my brain going on this topic. needless to say "triple hopped" is a perfect example

any kind of claim about processes or things like "fully hopped for a sweet, rich flavour"

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

This beer: Kennebunkport IPA is labeled as an IPA.

A weak bock or Pilsner would be more accurate. Adjuct lagers have more hop character.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Drank an Alimoney Ale labeled as an IPA last night.... I swear, it was a Pale ale with maybe one or two to many IBUs to be called such.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

"Triple Hops Brewed" is probably an accurate statement, even though it doesn't convey a lot of information to someone who understands hop additions. With respect to IPA's, I think the IBU arms race brought a lot of misinformation to bottle labels, in the sense that IBU's don't tell the whole story. Anyway, I have made a cream ale that says "Ultimate Cream" on the label, even though it is a beer with serious cider esters. Actually, my Bad Amba Jamma and Badder Amba Jamma labels feature the King of Pop and N.D. Tyson, respectively, instead of Carl Carlton. "English Mother@#$, Do You Drink It Pale Ale," features Dave Chappell making fun of Samuel Adams instead of Jules from Pulp Fiction. I can hardly say that my labelling is any more accurate than anyone else's.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
knuckleheadbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Haha One time I was in Beef O Brady's with the wife, I asked the server what was on tap...She started naming off Bud, Miller, Coors, Sierra Nevada, Drifter....What whats Drifter? Ohh it's good it tastes like Yeungling....Ok I could tell she was confused and had no clue...What arrives was a Windmer Bros. Drifter Pale Ale...which is a pretty hoppy Pale Ale, but how the eff do you get Yeungling out of this? ROFL

Fermenter 1: Anarchy Red IPA
Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:
Fermenter 4:
Kegged/Bottled:
Coming Soon:Strawbeery Blond, Westmalle Triple Clone
www.facebook.com/knuckleheadbrewing
www.knuckleheadbrewing.com

Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
trumpetbeard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does the brand name Milwaukee's Best count as misleading? Doesn't say anything about the character of the beer, but it certainly makes a strong argument about it's quality.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthecat View Post
post some cringe worthy inaccurate beer descriptions or even "i heard this guy once say ..." regarding terrible beer descriptions

a korean beer: "black beer stout" which is actually pretty decent for being so cheap
"Blackbeer Stout - Lager Type - From German Dark Roasted Malt"

also looking for know-nothing beer experts who will inaccurately throw around the words, hops, lager, ferment, alcohol etc
I had a part-time job in a while back editing scientific manuscripts written by Koreans for American journals. Some of the grammar was unintentionally hilarious. My wife and I still have a few ongoing inside jokes relating to some of the stuff I would edit. For example, whenever we make a list, we arbitrarily add "respectively" to the end. e.g. I'm going to the grocery store to get eggs, milk, bread, and cheese, respectively. (it's funny to us... but it looses some humor in the telling.)

Anyhow, if you're seeing this in foreign beers, it's likely a language/translation issue.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Haha, I have two...from two consecutive conversations. I went to a brewpub, the menu said they have a beer engine and to ask the server for what is on it. So i asked. The response was, "what? Beer engine? I have no clue what you are talking about, I have never heard of that"...I laughed and told him its in his menu, he better read up on it.

Then after I ordered my friend asked what kind one of the beers was, it was a Belgian. The server said "oh its a wheat beer, like gumballhead". The beer was a pure Belgian...I don't know how any person regardless of their palate could call that and gumballhead the same.

I nearly went and asked to speak to the manager about the guy. Working in a brewpub that serves their own beer, the staff should know how to accurately describe what style a beer is. And I don't care what restaurant you work at, you should never have to say that you have never heard of something that is specifically in your menu! My table got a good laugh though.

Quick Reply