Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Importing Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
5 Is Not Enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Importing Hops

I've recently been told by a canadian hops dealer that they have had problems shipping hops over to the US. Something about the FDA and a $75 fee they charge for 'certification'. Has anybody ever shipped hops over the border? My other thought is that I take a trip up there and bring them back with me, but I'm wondering if I'd just run into the same problem. Any experiences?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

ah had thought about this as well, Im 20min from the border and I have heard that hops are cheaper in Canadia Land

Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I haven't sent hops south or bought them from the south, but the online HBS ship will ship them across the border I believe. I'm thinking that those FDA rules are for moving large quantities across the border. I know that if you're going to ship anything with seeds in it you're in for a world of hurt, but a couple of pounds shouldn't be a problem. I used to order pipe tobacco by the pound from a place in Grand Forks North Dakota and it was a non-issue.

I'd just go ahead and order from the supplier. They would be more aware of any problems than you.

Quick Reply