Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Imported English ale vs. local ale (English BLOWS away local!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
TheCookieMonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Imported English ale vs. local ale (English BLOWS away local!)

Hi,

I have tried St. Peters English Ale and have compared it to my local award winning Ale's and pale ales.

The English Ale BLOWS the local variety out of the water and I'm wondering if this is because of the 2 Row/6 Row etc.

There is a flavor difference I can't put my finger on.

The local tastes 2 dimensional.

The English Ale imported from England.. wow.. it tasted 3D. Unbelievable. Damn it was so good I almost feel addicted.

Can someone please tell me what the difference between the two beers is? Water, 2 Row... what is it?

The St Peters English Ale was so good it was one of the best beers I've ever tasted.. I'm not a big beer connoisseur and have never had English beer, but OMG I was amazed. It's like it's been the 'missing link' this whole time. I took a couple of sips and it was like.. "ok.. wow *this* is the standard I need to compare all beers against".

Does that make sense to anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post

Can someone please tell me what the difference between the two beers is? Water, 2 Row... what is it?
You need to tell us what is in your beer to answer the question.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
TheCookieMonster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
You need to tell us what is in your beer to answer the question.
Someone with sufficient experience and knowledge should be able to 'know' what the general difference is between the two.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4623 Times on 3357 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Quote:
Someone with sufficient experience and knowledge should be able to 'know' what the general difference is between the two.
Huh? You want us to know the differences in beers we've never had without knowing your ingredients, your process, your water, etc? Or are you talking about local Toronto microbrews beers and English imports? What style of beer? What brands?

My ESP is on the fritz today.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
meddin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Huh? You want us to know the differences in beers we've never had without knowing your ingredients, your process, your water, etc? Or are you talking about local Toronto microbrews beers and English imports? What style of beer? What brands?

Exactly. What beer are you comparing it to? You gave us the specific English beer, but not the local beer. There are plenty of 'ok' micro/craft brews in North America, but also plenty that could stand toe to toe with 'real' English Ales.

Being 'award winning' doesn't mean much either. Don't BMC beers win awards a GABF too?

Quote:

And you better get that looked at Yooper...

Primary 1 - Engish Mild Ale
Primary 2 - Three Dog Pilsner
Secondary - Empty
Keg 1 - English ESB
Keg 2 - Scottish 70-/
Keg 3 - Commercial EPA

Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
TheCookieMonster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post

Nah ..Sorry bro.

Anyone who is experienced with brewing and beer would easily know the base recipe for a standard ale and what would be the differences between a British import, and a local variety.

I'm not dissing anyone. But honestly anyone with true experience and good at their craft would be able to answer this pretty straight fwd question.

There is a time when people can witness a separation between the men and the boys. This question unfortunate is one of those.

(the above statements are just personal opinion of course)

Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
meddin
Recipes 

Quote:
Nah ..Sorry bro.

Anyone who is experienced with brewing and beer would easily know the base recipe for a standard ale and what would be the differences between a British import, and a local variety.

I'm not dissing anyone. But honestly anyone with true experience and good at their craft would be able to answer this pretty straight fwd question.

There is a time when people can witness a separation between the men and the boys. This question unfortunate is one of those.

I'm not sure where to begin...

First Yooper isn't a 'bro' (who knew chicks can brew too?). Secondly, I have no idea what ingredients went into this particular beer you loved so much. I don't doubt that it was wonderful. But to say there could just be a categorical difference between 'English' beers and those made elswhere is false.

You could probably obtain or replicate pretty much all the ingredients in said beer (water, yeast, hops, grain), use similar processes and have basically the same outcome (provided you know what you are doing). I can buy English yeast strains and malts at my LHBS. Just because some local brews you compared it to dont stand up doesnt mean that English ales (which I love as well) are inherently better across the board.

The make some very tasty fish 'n chips in London too, but I have had some awesome ones here as well.

With the exception of some rare examples (lambics relying on specific wild yeast native to the area) I don't think location has much to do with it...

Without knowing the specifics of the beers you are comparing, we can't answer your original question.

Primary 1 - Engish Mild Ale
Primary 2 - Three Dog Pilsner
Secondary - Empty
Keg 1 - English ESB
Keg 2 - Scottish 70-/
Keg 3 - Commercial EPA

Old 03-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm smelling troll...

Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4623 Times on 3357 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Quote:
Nah ..Sorry bro.

Oh, well since this is only from "bro"s and experienced brewers, I guess you had better tell us the differences. I apparently am neither, since I can't guess what the differences are between a good beer that I never had and a bad beer that you won't identify. I am neither a man nor a boy, so will be unable to separate them.

I will say that if you are looking for a warm, biscuity, complex flavor, that comes from malts like maris otter or Golden Promise, along with some crystal and/or biscuit malt. Body is important, so mash at a fairly high temperature to preserve some of the long-chained dextrines. Yeast is important, too, so you could try a British yeast strain. If you like English beers, use English hops like EKG or fuggles.

Since there are many styles of English beers from milds to IPAs, I can't be more specific than that. An ESB will be very different from a porter, for example, and they have different ingredients. In order to nail down what it is that is "better", you'd have to know what style you were comparing a certain beer to. Roasty flavors would be out of place in a pale ale, but appropriate in a mild, as an example.

A "local" beer to me isn't in Toronto, so I can't possibly know what your local beer is or how it compares to a different beer.

Of course, if I was a better brewer I would be able to read your mind and know precisely what characteristics that beer had that you like.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
Heyyyo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Haha, that troll just got owned by a girl..

"Homer no function beer well without." -Homer Simpson

Quick Reply