Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > immersion chilling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
paithian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default immersion chilling

So I get decent temps on my ground water but just switched from partital boil extract to all grain and only have a 20 foot chiller took me 20 mins from boil to 70 would I really see much diffrence if I made a 50 foot chiller

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Never used a 50 foot chiller. From what I have heard and understand about science, by the time the cold water gets 25 or so feet through the chiller it has already exchanged as much heat as it can. 20 minutes doesn't seem bad compared to my chill times. I get from boil to 75-80 in about the same time, maybe a little more. I bring it the rest of the way in my ferm chamber.

For what its worth my plan, when I upgrade to a keggle for my BK, Im turning my current 25 foot into a prechiller and buying another for the kettle. I personally would rather go that route than an expensive plate chiller and dealing with cleaning and sanitizing of it.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir

For what its worth my plan, when I upgrade to a keggle for my BK, Im turning my current 25 foot into a prechiller and buying another for the kettle. I personally would rather go that route than an expensive plate chiller and dealing with cleaning and sanitizing of it.
When i upgrdaded to a keggle, i added a parallel circuit to my existing IC.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

hmm.... It takes me about 5 minutes or so to go from boil to 70. It is a shorter chiller - 20ft? City water. I run the water as fast as the faucet will allow.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
eagle83
Recipes 

I live in Mississippi so my water is usually 80+ degrees coming out of the spigot. What I usually do is run tap water through until I'm around 100* then I have a cheap pond pump that I use to circulate ice water with. I just leave the pump attached on one side, and a garden hose on the other. The water exits through the pump when attached to the faucet, then I just take it off the faucet and reverse it with the pump. I just recirculate the same water through the ice.

I do have a 40' chiller, but just giving you an alternative in case you don't want to get a bigger chiller.

I agree that 20 mins isn't bad though.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS